IGNORED

Cleaning a filthy engine.

FastWoman

A friend of mine is a top engine builder of Z engines . He told me that because of the changes in the oils now in use the failure rate of cams and rockers arms has increased to the point that soon NO REUSABLE rockers will be available to re builders. This was due to the lack of the Zink compound that was eliminated in most oils. Our engines and those that have flat tappets need the Zink additive . Newer engines have roller cam and rockers and also all have Catalytic converters and the Zink compound is not computable with the Cat. So the oil companies pulled it from there oils. Diesel rated oils that are NOT emissions rated have the Zink. Valvoline RACING oil also has it. So the debate goes on. Redline has a additive you can add to any oil and it has the needed Zink compound. Assembly lubricants for rebuilding your engine all have the Zink compound. Wonder why?

Gary

Because it's cheap and it works. There's no requirement for zinc. There is a requirement that the oil meet the performance standards specified by the auto's manufacturer. Typically SD or SE for the Z. As I stated before not all modern oils meet those standards. Delo® 400 Synthetic SAE 5W-40 only meets SH. Many lower cost oils do not meet SD SE that is the performance requirement as stated by Datsun/Nissan. Using an oil that does not meet SD SE and then adding zinc means you are using an oil that may not meet any of the performance requirements specified by Datsun.

Engine assembly lubes have always had an EP lube formulation and cams and followers should be installed and broken-in using the manufacturers recommended lube and procedure. Nothing has changed there. Many now require zinc carrying additives.

Adding a high lift cam and heavy valve springs has always made cam break-in more difficult and in that case unusual precautions may need to be taken. If the cam maker says use zinc, then use it.

My daily driver has 235,000 miles on it and it has flat tappets. 5W-30 Valvoline SYNPower is all it's had for the last 135,00 miles. I recently changed the valve cover gasket and my cams and followers look just fine.

I own and old Ford truck and my Z and neither are having any trouble with a quality oil that explicitly states that it meets the standards the manufacturer requires.

So as I said before, if you feel that you need to add zinc then at least add it to an oil that meets the SD SE performance requirements. Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

If you've modified your engine then you should use the oil and lubes recommended by the manufacturer of the parts you used.

BTW STP has ZDDP (zinc) and it claims to have the most of any brand of oil additive. Is more always better? Is there a problem with using too much? What will it cost you if you find out?

Steve