IGNORED

'73 240z with 6k MIles on Ebay (Again?)

Very true. But for half of that (say $15k or so) you can – with patience – find and buy very nice, mostly original cars with 50-100k miles or less, ready to drive, and that won't really depreciate.

True. I've seen two in the past year. I've seen perhaps 4 in the past 4 years. If you bump that number up to say a range of $16K to $16K... the number of cars could go as high at 15 over the past 5 years.

The problem is - most of the people that found and purchased such 240-Z's, spent a few thousand traveling and looking at cars that were rejected. If a couple thousand dollars is worth waiting a year or two for - I guess that makes sense. It isn't worth it to me. I'd rather spend the $20K up front, and drive or enjoy the car for the year or two...

Nonetheless, it shows us that Supply/Demand do work in the 240-Z market today. There will be 50 $15K to $20K 240-Z's out there, for every 1 $30K-$40K 240Z that comes to market.

When was the last time we saw any 240-Z with less than 10K miles - in stock/original condition - right down to the original tires... Personally, I wouldn't sell that car for less than $29K today.. because a serious Collector that loves original condition cars will come along tomorrow and consider that a bargain... They are only original once...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl.....You're dead on with everything you just said, and Mike you are too....I know the seller and he's certainly reputable. Just wish it was a 4-speed! Can you imagine what it would cost to restore one to this condition?

But it seems you did not read the description. Keeping in mind that the seller is a Collector, not a hobbyist, nor shade-tree mechanic... and therefore everything listed as done, was done at $75.00 per hour in a professional shop... and done without regard to the time it would take... you could quickly see that thousands and thousands and thousands of dollars were spent on the car to put it in "road ready" condition.

The person that sold the car - in Florida - never had it running. Nor did the lady he bought it from...

If this Collector gets $29K out of the car - he might get his money back.

FWIW,

Carl B.

You're right, I did not take the time to read the description.....sorry, my bad.

I know what he's put into this car to get it running....and it's alot. I was bidding on this car and got to $20K and chickened out. It was probably a good move as I know the seller and to get it running took ALOT. It would basically idle for a bit and that's all. it has been brought back to life by this gentlemen and asking $29K is just about getting his money back.

Jeff Mader

Well, the car didn't sell this go around. I'm kind of shocked that the best offer the seller got was $14,100. It might be smart to sit on the car until the economy improves and Americans discover the next bubble.

Actually, the highest offer through eBay was $21,000 on May 13, but that was also declined.

-Mike

that is a beautiful z, but i noticed that it had flat top carbs. would that have something to do with the previous owners having trouble with it?

All '73s came from the factory with flat tops, as did the '74 260Zs. Both the flat tops and the round tops can have problems. I'm not sure what the full story was with this car.

Edited by lonetreesteve

that is a beautiful z, but i noticed that it had flat top carbs. would that have something to do with the previous owners having trouble with it?

At least as it pertains to the two previous owners, that would be quite possible.

I do not believe that they had access to someone like John Williams in Atlanta. That is to say, access to a knowledgeable and experienced mechanic, used to dealing with the flat tops. John had to take them completely apart and clean the varnish out, then readjust etc. Prior to that, I believe the owners simply kept the car to preserve it. Once it had sat for years without being started, it got to the point that it was impossible to restart without major service work.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 1 month later...