IGNORED

Restoration... Should I go all the way?

73 240Z Man

I would venture to guess that depending on how "rough" it is, you can expect to pay b/t $20k minimum and $50k max for a complete resto. Doing almost all work yourself.

So I guess the question would be do you have a few years and $20k+ to invest in a full resto.

This is of course just general. Once pix are posted I imagine members could guess the cost down to + or - $1k :)

I have somewhere in the area of $14,000 invested in mine... and I figure I have $2k left to put into and I should be done. I also have about $2k in parts to sell after...

That figure does NOT include the tools I have bought over the last 4 years to do the work myself. If my body NOT MY FRAME - because there is no frame - was in better shape I could have gotten away with about $4,000 less. It was pretty bad to start.

Resources. You need to have resources. By that I mean you have to have a house with a garage space you can dedicate to the car for a period of a year or more. In most cases that means you own it and you have no intention of selling in the next few years. That means that you have the money to buy what you need and the skills to learn it and probably do it over and over until you get it right. I know of one 914 guy who has painted his car 3 times now because of either too many runs or color sanding through the edges. You make mistakes you have to be willing to do it over.

There is another kind of restoration though that takes few skills. It is called a checkbook restoration. If I lived in SoCal I would just go to Classic Datsun Motorsports and write a check to Les... Done deal and a perfect restoration.

Hopefully you have an enthusiastic friend who can help with the financing!

post-16545-14150805893724_thumb.jpg

Edited by conedodger

It would be far cheaper in the end to buy someone else's restoration than to either do a restoration yourself or pay someone to do it for you. If you like the welding and bodywork and have the resources as Rob mentioned then go for it, but if the goal is to drive around in a really original 240Z there are cheaper ways of getting from here to there.

Read his initial post again, this was his first Z car so there might be some attachment to it. I say go for it.

Must agree with the own your own garage!!!

First thing find a shop that can do media blasting and metal work if you cannot do these things yourself. Look for restoration shops talk to hot rodders in your area for referals.

Avg shop rates in my area run about $50 to $75 per hour for the work.

What do you guys mean by "full restoration?"

Do you mean the way Kats is doing his, down to the last nut, bolt, hose, and paint speck? Or do you mean something like just getting most, if not all the body back to VGC and a general overhaul of the engine, driveline, undercarriage, and making the interior more liveable.

I agree with Jon......Unless you really don't feel like it's yours if you don't do it yourself, I would buy someone else's resto, because you'll probably never get your money out of a good resto but remember you can buy someone else's for pennies on the dollar. There have been a dozen or so Z's on ebay this year that were immaculate for under $30,000.00.

On E-Bay This Year....

The best Deal Of The Year 2008 was right here on the Forum. #48 [HLS30 00048} as I recall sold for under $20K USD {$23K Canadian}. A 1969 Production Year example, beautifully and all but completely restored, save a few minor 69 parts.

Second best Deal Of The Year - was 1973 Datsun 240-Z with 6K original miles. Sold on E-Bay for $21.5K. I only know of one 240-Z will less miles in the Country.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Post up some pics first.

Panel work can be very expensive depending on what is required. Full resto is something I would not do unless the car is either very rare or you will never sell. I think most of us would liek to think that we would do a full resto but really it will most probably be a full rebuild as parts are very hard to come by to get to "as it left the factory" condition.

My advise would be to keep it on the road while you reseach the process, assess what you need to do and procure the parts. Take plenty of pics and bag everything .... everything ... and write on both sides of the plastic bags.

Right - post pics. It may be better to "refresh" rather than "restore". What user Kats is doing / done is going to set you back big bucks.

I believe Carl Beck had posted the costs of a refresh on one of his Z's at a different site. Far cheaper and you'll end up with something to be proud of.

Thanks for all the responses.... especially GarageGoon.. Some of the guys responses made me regret asking.

The Z is in pretty good shape. It only minor dents, some surface rust and minor rust out spots at the front of the rear wheel wells (maybe an inch to two inches at the bottom of the well). The paint is faded with primer spots so it doesn't look like much, but its pretty solid under it all.

As for the "frame off" responses, I know the car is a unibody and was just looking for advice from some guys that have done that "type" of restoration.

I will post some pictures soon.

Edited by 73 240Z Man