IGNORED

What are these parts?

weasel73240z: thanks! yours too!...LOTS of work, spread over the past 2yrs.

i could agree with you about the insulation. then again yours has a clean 'stock' look. my WHOLE motor was an oil dripping/oxidized/dirty mess when i got it...

I think these are just emissions parts. I am about ready to take them off, but want to be sure. I have looked them up in my how to restore your 240Z book, but they give little more than a name. I honestly do not see what their purpose is at this point. Perhaps they had something to do with some form of emissions equipment? The guys at hybrid Z said it has something to do with idle control?

From the 1973 FSM:

THROTTLE OPENER CONTROL SYSTEM

OPERATION

The function of the throttle opener is to open the throttle valve of carburetor slightly in vehicle deceleration. During deceleration, manifold vacuum rises and a quantity of mixture in the engine is not sufficient so that a normal combustion can not continue, and a great amount of unburned HC is emitted. While throttle opener is operating, the carburetor supplies the engine with an adequate charge of combustible mixture to keep proper combustion during deceleration resulting in remarkable reduction of HC emission.

The operation of the throttle opener is as follows. At the moment when the manifold vaccum increases upon deceleration, the control valve opens to transfer the manifold vaccum to the servo diaphragm chamber and the throttle valve of the carburetor opens slightly. As the car speed decreases (about 32 km/h (13 MPH) for manual transmission only), the manifold vacuum lowers to the predetermined value. The vacuum control valve begins to close gradually, keeping the manifold vacuum at the predetermined value.

As a result, both low HC emission and normal engine brake during deceleration are obtained. The altitude corrector is provided with a slight preload to compensate the variation of the atmospheric pressure.

THROTTLE OPENER SOLENOID

Th purpose of this control is to return the speed of engine to the precribed idling positively. To be accurate, the control prevents the throttle opener from taking normal operation when car speed is below 21 km/h (13 MPH) for manual tramsmission equipped model, or when transmission is placed in "N" or "P" position for automatic transmission equipped model. Current flows through the solenoid when car speed falls below 21 km/h (13 MPH) on manual transmission equipped model, or when the transmission is placed in "N" or "P" position on automatic transmission equipped model.

As this takes place, the needle valve is lifted off its seat, directing air from the air chamber to the servo diaphragm. This releases the operation of the throttle opener.

When car speed goes over 21 km/h (13 MPH), or when transmission is placed in a position other than "N" or "P" position, the solenoid is deenergized, allowing the throttle opener to take normal action to reduce HC emission to a minimum.

Those aren't typos and the syntax is directly from the FSM. What ae the chanced that these 35+ year old parts are still functional as they were when new. (My syntax souded like Nissan's there, didn't it?) I'd say remove it!

• 6 months later...

I recently put MSA 3-2 headers and twice pipes and since WA doesn't require it to pass emissions I am now looking to remove my smog equipment.

post-15469-14150806142407_thumb.jpg

I would like to cap and remove all circled elements.

Those that say they've capped these connections, what specifically did you use?

I'm actually not opposed to leaving #3 I'm really just concerned with #1 and 2 because I've removed the smog pump.

post-15469-14150806141954_thumb.jpg

Edited by JonnyRock

• 6 years later...

Which is the part i need to get to raise the idle when installing Vintage Gen II mini evaporator and sanden 508 compressor? I read its the servo diaphgram! Is it the same as a Fast Idle Actuator on 280zs? My car is a 1972 240z. The Throttle opener control valve is still on top of the balance tube even though it does not work! Should i also remove it? This is the last part i need to source in order to install my AC System! Just need to go in the right direction!

• 1 month later...