IGNORED

Best car cover for an early Z?

BRE-240Z

I sprang for the Gold Technalon Cover from MSA. With the cable lock, bag, and shipping it was a little over $200. I've been very pleased with it; when I get the chance to use it. I live in a virtual wind tunnel, which blows like crazy at night, so it hasn't seen a whole lot of use.

I saw one at Costco the other day, it was a generic one for about $30. Seeing what little use I've gotten out of mine recently, maybe I should have bought one of those.

Anyway, I've been happy with the MSA one, although they DON'T tell you that there's only one cutout for the Driver's rear view mirror. Nothing on the passenger side. That pissed me off quite a bit when I first got it. Luckily I have the turbo mirrors (which I hate) that fold up.

You can find it here:

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/T/50-1008

Thanks for the feedback. I'll be parking her in the garage, so I won't need anything that's too weatherproof.

I do need something that's kidproof....don't want my daughter walking past the car and rubbing her bike handlebars down the side of my new paint job....

:eek:

I too have a Technalon from MSA, nicely tailored, fits much better than any generic cover could. While the website doesn't mention the single mirror pocket, I seem to recall that the print catalog did. It also mentioned that there was no hole pre-cut for the antenna. As long as your antenna will retract (either power or manually) you'll be fine.

I also bought the gold Tech one from MSA for my 240,the side mirrow wasn't a big deal since I only have one and my antena actually retracts. It was so good I bought one for my 280ZXT it had both mirrow cut outs and antena hole. They are a little expensive but are well worth it. A small price compared to the price you probably spent on your paint job.

Worried about door dings, eh? Well why didn't you say so!

Maybe it's time to invest in the "DoorPal"!!! Even if your daughter comes through the garage swinging a shovel, you won't have to bat an eye.

No seriously, check out this guys door-ding prevention invention. Funny stuff. It's a good idea, but poorly executed in my opinion.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/03/video-protect-your-car-from-door-dings-and-shovels/

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/12/06/video-acura-nsx-gets-whacked-with-a-shovel-part-2/

I know that you are concerned about the new paint. I wouldn't cover the car for a week , just to be safe . Let the paint cure a little. Kids and handle bars, will be difficult to shield the car from that. I have my Z in the garage covered with a inexpensive cover . I never put the cover on the car unless it is absolutely clean , and fold the cover so the inside never contacts the out side surface of the cover. I waited for about 3 weeks before I covered my Z after paint. I think is was longer but at least 3. I think I paid about $40.00 for my cover. I don't have small children around my Z though. I have heard of guys sewing the insulation foam used for pipes on the inside of the cover along the exposed side of the car. The foam tube for a 3/4'' pipe is about 2 1/2'' thick . They are soft and shouldn't damage the paint plus they don't cost vary much. Sewn in place with fishing line should be easy. Gary