IGNORED

Total Restoration Project. 71

Diseazd

Tom ........You're right on with Chuck.....he's not for someone that is worried about "how much?" You really have to see the car in person......the pictures don't do it justice. I assume the red one is yours? Thanks. Guy

If folks understood how much time goes into an effort like this there would be less grousing about price.

Blocking and re-blocking with guide coats involved is labor intensive. That's how you end up with mirror for a paint job. I watched your car getting a heavy dose of this activity. It almost pained me to watch.

Yes, the red car is mine. I hope we can pull off a reasonable facsimile of an SC GT. ;)

Rich.....Could you attach a pic of the entire blacked out area since yours is original......I'm trying to figure out if Nissan brushed it on or sprayed it and the exact borders.Tom.....One of the cars that I had done in the past was a 67 912 in red. It won 1st place in the Richmond Porsche Show........you"ll own a Jewell. Good Luck. Guy

Hi Guy,

That area is a little tough to get to, hoods in the way. Hope this helps. You can see the brush strokes in the last couple of pics. Looks like they didn't paint in the lines well very :) Also looks like I need to clean the area a bit better.

post-19125-14150815248774_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150815249514_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150815250129_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150815250745_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150815251433_thumb.jpg

post-19125-14150815252026_thumb.jpg

Porsche hand painted (brushed on) the inside of doors to hide the exterior color from being seen inside the car. I can't see an easier way to do it without creating a mess.

This almost looks like it might have started with a "roller" the way the paint is seen on the bolt heads and the "outside the border" at the top which is very symmetrical to have been done with a brush.

Details, details...

Thanks Jeff. It was a great car. I don't miss it as much as I thought I would but maybe that's b/c the price I was offered was too good to pass up. And I went back to building up the BMW which has been my #1 project for years. She just got outfitted with turbo, new exhaust and 6 piston wilwood brakes up front. Hope the ole man doesn't mind if I post a few while we wait for the finished safari gold car.

I also hope to do an S30 one day...

Tom, Can't wait to see the 356 all finished!

post-16082-14150815252638_thumb.jpg

post-16082-1415081525319_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the pics Rich....you win Brandon ( on the paint ) and Tom.......I really want to see your Porsches ( I've had 3 of those sweethearts myself ) and I really think you'll regret not buying the Z you looked at if you don't......hoods are easy and a slave cylinder only takes 15 minutes. Believe me the PO never drove it in the rain!