IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

7 hours ago, Patcon said:

What would you even do with a wheel that the entire lip is gone? Is there anyone that rebuilds these wheels? It seems they could be worth the time and effort...

Everyone I spoke to basically said they were too far gone. Being made of magnesium there isn't a whole lot you can do to make them viable again. Better off as a garden hose reel. ?

Also the person selling them had an unrealistic price expectation considering their condition. Might even still have them.

• Like 1

Hi Gavin and Patcon ,

I enjoyed the links so much , thanks Gavin .

I bought the NZ magazine from eBay years ago , that was for the first time for me knowing there were options of the wheel and the stripe , the rear spoiler and even the front fender mirrors!!

Still the car is arrive , wonderful. And the “ D “ center cap , I want it . There are only two cars I know which have the caps for their Z432.

I know many Z432 owners still use the wheel ,but  yes , basically people who saw the car said it is dangerous because it exceeds its life , lost worthiness. 

So  I think there were some reproductions made of aluminum, Toyota 2000 GT too, not only owners also other models owner bought reproductions. But they are heavy!

According to a Nissan Life ( Nissan issued magazine for customers) , interviews to Mr . Nanba and Mr. Wakabayashi after the winning of 1971 Safari rally,  they said the magnesium wheel is way strong than the steel wheel , steel wheel is bent on by certain impact , while magnesium wheel is broken apart at very high stress.

Manuals recommended wash your magnesium wheel very well after driving in salty waters.

If owners take care of them well , the magnesium wheels are always good for use , I think .

Some professionals can restore the wheel but I do not know the case which you provided in the pictures .

Kats

Edited by kats

About the wheels on Yahoo Japan, 

I asked the seller weight of each wheel , but they never replied, I new it .

I think the seller did not want to tell they are aluminum replica. The seller would want to have a lot of attention to raise bidding price.

Kats

9895C82D-C366-47B1-AD9F-50A550F94898.jpeg

• Like 2

My experience with Yahoo! Japan sellers is that they rarely answer questions. I have someone who can translate for me, but we rarely get a reply.

So I often buy items based on photos and poor Google Translate descriptions. Still I find most items arrive as I expected and I find sellers quite good in general.

• Like 1

I did some research on welding magnesium wheels last night. Evidently they can be tigged but it can be a difficult process and they are prone to stress cracks, that have to be found and repaired. A wheel like the one pictured earlier with out the lip is probably not good for anything but a hose reel like Gav said

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, psdenno said:

The engine case on my air cooled Porsche is magnesium.  For your reading pleasure, google "Porsche magnesium engine case fires".  They burn really hot and are hard to extinguish.

Dennis

One of the threads I read last night. The guy was a helicopter crash firefighter on a navy ship. They told him if the magnesium wheels on the chopper catch fire you can't extinguish them because they burn so hot it breaks the water into hydrogen and oxygen. He also said they burn so hot they'll burn through the ship deck in just a few minutes. So the SOP was to push the burning chopper overboard...

• Like 1

Great Magnesium scare stories guys. Meanwhile, Nissan's Kobe Seiko 'Rally Mag' and '432 mag' wheels were made from Elektron. If you find yourself in a situation where your wheels are on fire, you're probably half past cooked in any case.

If the 60-odd litres of fuel in the tank, whatever oil is left in your engine and the fumes from the plastics of the interior haven't already killed you, you can at least luxuriate in the white hot expense of burning magnesium alloys turning your bones to dust... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 5/22/2018 at 7:41 PM, kats said:

Hi Lumens, I did not realize that,  I was wondering what the huge threaded hole is for .

I checked service manuals ,  ( 1st NOV 1969 for export , NOV 1969 and OCT 1971 for Fairlady Zs) there is a Nissalco ? stand , the difference is an adapter for each type of engine.

And you will be surprised, Fairlady Z manual is omitting description of disassembly and assembly for L -6 engine , it says “ because it is the same as L16 engine, omitting des

Kats, he may have made the adapter for his engine stand. I do not recall. When I get to his shop again I will see if I can photo it.

He lives in another town.

• Like 1