IGNORED

Looking to visit(or live) in NZ

onuthin

There seems to be a big group from Down Under with Z cars.I have talked for 30 years about visiting and now that I am retired my wife and I have no family and are thinking about a visit or possibley moving there.I don,t want leave my Z here but if I could get one there I might.Does any one have any reasons pro or con why not? I would love to here any input as this a pretty big step.

I took a two week vavcation to the south island a couple of years ago and it was magnificent. Maybe a trip down to see what it's like to decide whether or not you would want to move their permanently? I've got to believe that at some point too you would have to apply for citizenship in order to be able to to own a house or get into the social medicine system. You may also be able to take as many of your Zs as you can afford to ship with you, who knows.

It seemed to me that things were more expensive there though. Gas was high compared to the States, about twice what we pay here, cigarettes and booze too, food only a little so. What was really nice was that there seemed to be no crime or very little by comparison in populated places.

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/

I just spoke to a guy who spent three weeks down there and said it was one of the most beautiful places he'd ever visited, and this person has traveled all over the world.

I have also heard that it is pretty difficult to gain citizenship in New Zealand. That could just be heresay, but it is what I've heard.

Book your holiday and come and see for yourself. You will be amazed.

Why not email the US embassy and ask them if the is an expat community forum in NZ that you could ask some questions on. You guys will be able to chat and compare apples with apples.

For my sins, I am a 4th generation New Zealander, or "KIWI" as some like to say. I have spent 10 years away from this place travelling to over 50 countries and I can say that this place is very laid back. We have issues as all countries do, some more some less. But most issues are found in the Auckland region where they have a higher mix of nationalities.

It is almost impossible to buy a first home here now for someone starting out as the prices have soared in the past 4 years. We will soon be a nation of renters or 50+ year mortgagees. The cost of living is high too. Yes fuel is expensive at about $1.50 a litre. 70US cents to NZ$1. It was US45 cents to the NZ$1 about 4 years ago.

So book your tickets and come on down. But remember that you will be viewing this untouched place with hoilday eyes.

Look at http://www.zclub.org.nz/ for a Auckland based club. There are very few zeds in the south island when compared with the north.

Climate is weird here now. As a kid we had hot hot summers but we have just had the wettest December on record and the coldest winter in ages. But today it was 32 degrees, then down to 7 then back up to 18 again. Small island in the southern ocean gets whatever is coming, no large land mass to help. The "western desert island" is a 3 hour flight away thank God. Aussies and Kiwis share a passion for beating each other in sport.

We recently won 3 nil in a cricket match series against them. So the question is "What is the difference between the Australian Cricket Team and an arsonist?" "An Arsonist wouldn't give up his last 3 matches."

Good luck and email me if you want anymore info as per the PM.

My wife and I spent two weeks in NZ on vacation and loved it. We drove 3300Km combined on the North and South Island. Another two weeks would have been wonderful.

I have also kicked around the idea of selling everything but the Z and moving to NZ.

I have traveled a fair amount and this was the first time I felt I could live in another country quite happily. Yes, there would be things that would take some time to get used to. But, I am sure it would work out.

As a tourist the country is great. (The roads are really great for sports cars.) But, I am not sure what the employment and housing situation would be like compared to our current situation in the US. The South Island is a great place to visit but I believe the majority of professional job opportunities would be on the North Island closer to Auckland.

My vote is to do some serious research then take at least two weeks to visit the country and explore the options. If you can arrive with a specific set of questions to ask regarding a relocation, you may go home with the answer.

Best of luck to you!

Al

i came very close to moving and taking my z. gold coast was the city for me, just south of brisbane au. i did visit australia and new zealand with a 2 dayer in fiji. i spent 4-6 hours a day for 6 weeks on the net doing research and i highly recommend it as i was amazed at how much can be learned. a visit can not be replaced by the internet but check out the world fact book and look for expat sites as mentioned above. i recall a 3 week voyage for the car would run $1,000 and at the time the exchange rate was more favorable. the aussies and kiwis were the best of host and i would love to visit more and or join them but the immigration laws are difficult past the age of 34. au has a point system to qualify which included age, net worth, and favored those who were skilled in the industries which they needed professionals.

good luck and have fun.

cdave