IGNORED

TERRIBLE NEWS! ... Nis-san Dream Car Ga-rage Crushed?

Mat Big Hat

Oh sure rub it in!

Will

I have a copy of the Pess Release package for the Dream Garage ad campaign. Some of it is Mr. K autographed. The kit includes a VHS of all the TV spots for the campaign. Here is a little history about it.

“Nissan’s Rich Heritage and Innovation Renders New Brand Marketing Campaign” announced a $200 million national advertising campaign designed to rekindle consumer brand identity and loyalty in August 1996. The TBWA Chiat/Day North America ad agency conceived strategy was known as the Dream Garage Campaign. The television commercial milestone “Dream Garage” appeared during the closing ceremonies of the Atlanta Olympic Games August 4, 1996. By November, Nissan U.S.A. was initiating the Z-Store program including the Vintage Z.

Three 30 second television spots introduced the campaign and featured no voice-overs, no tagline, and no new Nissan cars! Wholly unlike traditional car advertising. The dreamlike commercials were prepared from a driver’s perspective featuring a mystical Japanese man who makes magical things happen and then reminds us to “Smile”, “Have Fun,” and “Drive Happy”. The culmination “Dream Garage” commercial features the symbolic Mr. Katayama wearing a Datsun cap and with a small dog reminding us, “Life is a Journey. Enjoy the Ride”. The commercial was scored by Danny Elfmann, music composer for Batman and Edward Scissorhands, and directed by Kinka Usher of Smillie films.

The commercial intended to embrace the magical spirit of Mr. Katayama and his keen understanding of the emotional appeal and personal expression that the automobile represents in America. He represented the temporal embodiment of the car company’s heritage, joyful spirit and love of cars.

Well, moved or not, Let's look at the truth. When our beloved Nissan was actually Nissan, The cars in question were NOT truly held in a manner suitable for a "Heritage Collection" The dusty warehouse on Griffith, Between Broadway and Main was never a "Museum". There was never a "Curator". Every so often, someone would replace a dust cover, If there was a dust cover for the car at all. It was not open for viewing, and if you did get in, you were quite dismayed by the conditions they were being stored in. basically the cars were pushed in to a corner. Could we really expect the new management to respect these cars when it was obvious they were getting little respect in the past?

In comparison, The Toyota Museum, four miles away was a million miles ahead! If a percentage of these cars are now on display in a museum, that still an improvement.

It is a shame that corporation that has a heritage to be proud of, ignores that fact completely. I can only take heart in the fact that many individual employees were Nissan history buffs, even if it wasn't a corporate philosophy.

Victor you are right, none of the cars at Gardena were very well taken care of. Most sat around, coated in dust, with flat tires. All of the cars were not in a state where they could be "viewed" by the general public. As a matter of fact you had to know where the facility was, know the right people to talk to, and then ask them if you could see the cars.

Although I have not been to the Toyota Museum, I have heard it is nice.

But Nissan USA formerly Datsun is still haunted by it's old name, and feels that it has to ignore the Datsun name, so these wonderful old cars, are relegated to obscurity...

Well it does sound like they may be taking a little interest in these old cars, they did indeed lend some out to Lane. And I wouldn't say that they are trying to hide from the Datsun name, they use the old Z's and other old cars in advertisement and literature whenever it suits them. It's always Z this and first compact truck that... they just need a little push to get them to dedicate some permanent space. Hell, this whole thread is about the Dream Garage. That's not something we made up... Nissan did. And they spent a lot of money to do so. Maybe with all the money Nissan is dumping into the South (Tennesse and Mississippi), they will indeed build a Museum...

Maybe we should start a petition

I know a few of the Zs were sold to private collections. I documented another couple of Vintage Zs when the deal came down. New owners will mean that the cars are cared for. With luck, they will appear at various shows around the country. I know guys with multiple car collections and one can imagine how difficult it would be to transport the "collection" around. A lot of these cars are in the South and with luck, we will get to see a bunch of them at the national convention in Daytona.

I think it's funny that we also cannot prove the cars were crushed, either. The mysterious source of the story will not be revealed, but, someone needs to prove the cars have not been crushed?

A fun mystery game perhaps. Where are the Mythbuster guys when you need them?!

I think it's funny that we also cannot prove the cars were crushed, either. The mysterious source of the story will not be revealed, but, someone needs to prove the cars have not been crushed?

A fun mystery game perhaps. Where are the Mythbuster guys when you need them?!

THE ONLY WAY TO DO THAT IS TO ACCOUNT FOR ALL THE CARS.

Who ever has the list and number of cars, break it down.

And then lets find out who owns or where is which.

~Z~

I just find it a little hard to believe... I mean, it just seems like if a salvage yard was asked to crush old cars in good condition, assuming the panels were at least straight, and that most if not all the parts were there, that they would offer to buy the cars. They're there to make money too. Seems like they'd make more selling them to nuts like ourselves than they would make by crushing them.