IGNORED

Steering Rack Differences; 240-Z vs. 260-Z (280-Z)

Hello

Is anyone able to tell me if/how I am able to identify an original 240-Z type steering rack with it still installed in the car? Are there any external markings or physical differences between the 240-Z rack and the 260-Z (280-Z) style rack?

The rack on my car was exchanged by the previous owner for a rebuilt unit and I would like to know if a 240-Z style was installed or a 260-Z style as I may have an opportunity to purchase an original 240-Z style.

Thanks for any replies.

Joseph

Is anyone able to tell me if/how I am able to identify an original 240-Z type steering rack with it still installed in the car? Are there any external markings or physical differences between the 240-Z rack and the 260-Z (280-Z) style rack?

Easy. The early racks have an aluminum housing where the pinion shaft is. On the later rack this housing material is steel.

Steve Golik

Smoky Mountain Z Car Club

Knoxville TN

1970 240Z

1974 260Z

1979 810 Hardtop

"30 years of Z car ownership"

The 240Z rack has a Zerk fitting on the non-pinion end (passenger side). It also takes a different bushing. Lastly and most important, they are freely rebuildable, while the 260/280 need a lot of cut and fit on the rack bushings (must be honed to fit).

The Zerk fitting is the key to identification and to longevity of use.

Hello All

Thanks for the replies/information to date. I managed to take a closer look at the rack installed in my car over the course of the weekend.

As best I am able to gather, the measurement between the 'lips' where the rack mounting bushings go is 35mm inside to inside. Is anyone able to provide a base measurement from a known 240-Z rack so I am able to compare.

Ed's reply is interesting. When I look at my rack, the pinion is mounted to the RHS of the car (drivers side for me as Im in RHD country, but this is passengers side for LHD cars); this contradicts what Ed has posted in that he says the pinion should be on the LHS. Sides here are taken as if sitting in the drivers seat facing forwards in the car.

Am I looking at a 260-Z rack in my car??

Thanks

Joseph

Joseph,

I was speaking of the US import variety, which has the pinion on the Left or Driver's side (for the states). On our 240 racks, the passenger side has the zerk fitting, meaning the non-rack side bushing could be lubricated.

It has been my experience that the later, non zerk fitted units show extreme wear on the rack where it transverses the non pinion side bushing. In Fact, the Downing article on rebuilding these later racks (IZCC site), talks about honing out the new bushing, but not more than an interference fit at the end, as the inner part of the rack will be worn smaller.

On my first 280 (75 280Z with 97,000 miles), I replaced the original rack with a 240 rack (72 240 with appx 137,000 miles) and it worked until the car was totalled (additional 50,000 miles). Just put a shot of grease in, whenever I changed the oil.

Hello Ed

Thanks for providing this clarification.

Do I have to remove the boot to see if the grease fitting is there on the passengers/non-pinion side of the rack?

I was doing some research and came across the pics as attached.

The one I have in my car definately looks like the one as labelled 240-Z, but I fear that the one labelled 260-Z may be from a 2+2 and the 2 seater 260-Z racks were the same externally as the 240-Z?

Is anyone able to confirm this?? The pinion on mine is black, but this may have been painted as part of the 'rebuild'.

Joseph

post-3014-14150797547038_thumb.jpg

Joseph,

It would be apparent if you had the zerk fitting. It is not under the boot. Normally is on top side of the rack, with an angle fitting for access. I don't know if the fitting was on from the factory, but it was always easily visible.

Hope this helps.