IGNORED

2002tii vs 240Z

Pete84

But it's much harder to find a decent 510 today than it is to find a nice 2002.

There's an old lady who lives in my neiborhood that drives what appeaers to be a near concours example of a 2 door 510. I don't even want one but when I see her I feel compelled to pull her over and ask her if she would consider selling it.

There's an old lady who lives in my neiborhood that drives what appeaers to be a near concours example of a 2 door 510. I don't even want one but when I see her I feel compelled to pull her over and ask her if she would consider selling it.

Do it, you'll probably find she appreciates the compliment, and you never know what it could lead to.

That's how I got my car :)

Here is the wikipedia page on the 2002tii

From wikipedia: "Kugelfischer mechanical fuel injection"

Doesnt even sound like something I'd want to work on. :laugh:

Hey Pete, its all about what YOU want isnt it?

Good luck and happy car hunting.

Chris

And don't forget the whole "lug bolt" issue with most German cars... I never cursed so much in my whole life as the time that I broke a lug bolt off in the hub on a early 90's VW... that will ruin your whole week trying to drill one of those out.

For those who don't know, most German cars don't have wheel studs, they have threaded holes in the hub into which you thread lug bolts. I know that VW, Audi, and BMW have this oddity, but no one has been able to explain WHY.

It seems like a really minor issue, but after trying to change a wheel a couple of times it really began to bother me. That and the fact that the lug bolts tend to rust into the hub... well never mind.

• 4 weeks later...

I have been driving my virtually original 76 2002 (de-smogged) daily for the past few years. It recently died of highway overdose. It has been a wonderful car, so I haven't decided just what to do with it. I have three other bimmers and have had a variety of cars over the years, including a 2004 MINI S right now, but no car has ever been as much fun, as perfect a fit, as manageable in any driving conditions as the nearly new 1970 Z I had when I was young. In fact, the comparison is interesting as I recently dismantled my 85 635csi for the engine et al to power the 1970 Z which has been sitting in my garage stripped, waiting for the right time and the right engine for 15 years. I will probably let the 02 go, just so I can concentrate on the Z. Ask me which is the better car. True, the comparison of the 02 with the 510 is more realistic, but it is a compliment to either car when compared to the Z. The 02 lends itself to creative engine swap ideas also, and there is a similar "cultish" sort of following for the 02. If you want two seats, drive the Z, if you want four, drive the 02. I'll get back to you someday on the BMW/Z hybrid, but it should be the best of both worlds. Oh, don't call the BMW ugly; you learn to love the style. Like the Z, the 02 is the model that introduced the U.S. to the marque, so they each should hold a similar position in the history of their respective marques. I almost forgot; we had a 71 rusty 510 wagon back when. It was held together with bumper stickers, and I finally gave it to a Cuban immigrant. Man, I wish I still had it, rust and all.