IGNORED

Looking for original 1970 Radio/Stereo

ddezso

Since my goal is to have a mostly stock-looking driver, absolute originality isn't crucial. That said, I do want it to look "period" so I will try to find a stock-looking radio of some kind. But I'll be using both speakers in back, probably with a small amp that has an auxiliary input jack for my iPod.

Thanks for all the input guys. Since I am not going to have a frame off showcar but just want a tight, clean refreshed Z car, would one of the later radios like the one you pictured 26th-Z, fit into the slot on a 1970? It looks to have AM and FM and I assume it is stereo......?

That way I still have the period look rather than a blue neon flux capacitor retratactable removable DVD flat screen stereo.

Thanks for all the input guys. Since I am not going to have a frame off showcar but just want a tight, clean refreshed Z car, would one of the later radios like the one you pictured 26th-Z, fit into the slot on a 1970? It looks to have AM and FM and I assume it is stereo......?

That way I still have the period look rather than a blue neon flux capacitor retratactable removable DVD flat screen stereo.

ROFL aint that the truth!

Regarding the speaker wiring (series vs. parallel), the important thing is to have the total speaker load match the rating of the radio power amp output. In addition, the speakers should have a power rating that is the same or higher than the power output of the radio. I'm not sure where to find these tidbits of information, perhaps in the service manual somewhere?

For arguments sake, let's say the radio is designed to operate into a 4 Ohm load. You could hook up one 4 Ohm speaker, two 8 ohm speakers in parallel, or two 2 Ohm speakers in series. All three variations would present the same 4 Ohm load to the radio.

Now let's say the power output of the radio is 20 Watts. If only one speaker is hooked up, it should be rated for 20 Watts or more. If two speakers are hooked up, they should be rated for 10 Watts or more.

When connecting two speakers together in a mono setup, I'd wire them in parallel. That way if one blows, there is still a load on the radio's power amp. Without a load, the power amp section could burn up.

• 4 months later...

Found this while going through some paperwork. Hope it helps others:

Hitachi Car Radio Model KM-1520ZC Operating guide.

Will post more later, but for now:

SPECIFICATIONS:

CIRCUIT SYSTEM: All transistor superheterodyne with RM am. system

TUNING RANGE: FM 88 ~ 108MHz; AM 535 ~ 1,605KHz

TRANSISTOR: 13

IC: 1

DIODE: 9

THERMISTOR: 2

POWER SUPPLY: DC 12V negative ground

CURRENT CONSUMPTION: 200mA (with no signal)

AUDIO OUTPUT: 3.5W (THD 10%)

LOUDSPEAKER: 5 1/8" PM 4 ohms

ANTENNA: Power Antenna (RO-74B)

WEIGHT: 2 lbs 14 oz.

This is from the P7630871 Brochure from Hitachi LTD.

• 2 years later...