IGNORED

Is this stupid or what?

deedee

CC&R's (and city ordinances) exist for a reason. Perhaps many of you have never experienced the decline of a neighborhood due to thoughtless, inconsiderate people who don't mind living in a pig stye being allowed to run amok.......or maybe you were just renting and could simply move away, or maybe you were part of the problem.

When it's your money (equity in a hoime) on the line you'll wake up & smell the coffee, quick.

There are those who inflict disrespect on both sides of this fence, before any of you get your dander up, step into the others shoes. I don't want to live next door to a salvage yard, but at the same time I don't want cardogman or anyone else telling me what I can or can't do with something I bought and paid for. When I put the parts car in my yard, and chose to keep it looking like a part of our daily transportation, I had no idea that my neighbors life was so empty she spent it examining my lawn. When I noticed her automatic sprinckler system was set to water every day-going against the city wide ordinance of each side of the street every other day-I went to visit. When I found her not at home, I wrote her a very polite note which included my name, address and phone number. My assumption was that she didn't know about the ordinance, and would look into it and comply with it-after all, it was there for a good reason. I respected her enough to allow her the opportunity to rectify the situation on her own, and my actions proved that.

Some people use any excuse to try to exert control over another. Respect goes both ways, a neighborhood does not go down hill over one house in even several months. Frequently, knocking on a door, putting out the glad hand and talking to the perceived problem takes less time to generate results than a call to the city, if it does not, then you have a real-not perceived-problem. All I am advocating is taking the first step on a personal level instead of an official level. I think most people have a lot less animosity if they are asked to be a part of something instead of being treated like the enemy. I also think some people feel the need to feel powerful by trying to bulldoze eveyone else with pressure, language and disrespect.

As with every L series engine, a little lubrication keeps the mechanism running and no lubrication won't. Disrespect will never cure disrespect-does it work on any of you?

Will

Just think, Enigma, this thread was dead for three months until you revived it. For what? To quote that issue riddled individual 'smokingwheels'? See what happens here? I don't think that the author of this thread, 'deedee', has even answered. She violated the law and was looking for sympathy. But, it was dead! Doesn't take much to enrage people on this site. Look at the response from the guy above with only two posts at the time. He was just rude. Jackhammer's posts make sense whether you consider them tactless or not. But this is not the place to air this type of crap out. Find a homeowners site or a civic law site and bash each others brains out! But it doesn't belong here. Look how many good members we've lost here. I could name them but most of you know who I'm talking about. When this site is made up of unknowledgable teenagers and people who want to convince us of the merits of traveling at ungodly speeds on public roads, people that believe that you get 10 hp from changing you air filter, etc. I hope you all enjoy it!

CC&R's (and city ordinances) exist for a reason. Perhaps many of you have never experienced the decline of a neighborhood due to thoughtless, inconsiderate people who don't mind living in a pig stye being allowed to run amok.......or maybe you were just renting and could simply move away, or maybe you were part of the problem.

When it's your money (equity in a hoime) on the line you'll wake up & smell the coffee, quick.

And what are you going to due when they come after your car?

If somebody owns property he ought to be able to do with it what he wants. Its none of the neighbors business.

You can join the SEMA Action Network and get involved in positive legislation for our auto hobby:

See: <a href=http://www.semasan.com/ TARGET=NEW>http://www.semasan.com/</a>

Related to the subject at hand:

URGENT LEGISLATIVE ALERT

SEMA Pro-Hobbyist Inoperable Vehicle Bill Becomes Law in Kentucky

(Washington, D.C., Apr. 1, 2005) - - SEMA, the Specialty Equipment Market Association, announced that Kentucky Governor Ernie Fletcher signed into law model legislation drafted by the association to place limits on public nuisance ordinances that prevent automobile collectors from pursuing their hobby.** Under the new law, junked, wrecked or inoperable vehicles, including parts cars, stored on private property would only be required to be maintained out of ordinary public view.* It would apply to owners or occupants of land in a city, county, or unincorporated area.*

States and localities often enforce strict property or zoning laws that include restrictions on visible inoperable automobile bodies and parts.* Removal of these vehicles from private property is enforced through local nuisance laws with minimal or no notice to the owner.* Jurisdictions enact these laws based on the notion that inoperable vehicles are eyesores that adversely affect property values.* Many such laws are drafted broadly, allowing for the confiscation of vehicles being repaired or restored.

“We believe that clear legal distinctions must be drawn between an owner using private property as a dumping ground and a vehicle enthusiast working to maintain, restore or construct a vehicle,” said SEMA VP Government Affairs Steve McDonald.* “This new Kentucky law as written by SEMA provides safeguards for hobbyists to work on collector vehicles on private property and establishes reasonable provisions that vehicles be located out of public view.”

The new law applies to automobile collectors, defined as those who collect and restore motor vehicles whether as a hobby or a profession.* To comply, collectors would maintain hobby cars out of ordinary public view, a sight line within normal visual range by a person on a public street or sidewalk adjacent to the private property.* This provision would be achieved by means of suitable fencing, trees, shrubbery, etc.

“Kentucky lawmakers were eager to work with us and the state’s hobbyist community to create reasonable and fair compromise legislation permitting outdoor storage of hobby cars and parts if they are maintained in such a manner as not to constitute a health and safety hazard.* We are especially indebted to Representative Mike Denham for spearheading this effort.”*

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl Beck

Clearwater,FL USA

http://ZHome.com

Who me? Tactless.:classic: I meant to be...after reading some of the posts. They seemed clueless about seeing anything but their side.

You are right on... about people getting to know one another. It makes one aware of what is going on, who people are, how they think and less likely to take the attitudes some of these posts reflected. Shall we say more willing to be respectful of others?

I am no picture perfect example. Close..(just Kidding) I am in the middle of a complete frame up resto. and for the most part it has been done in my garage in what could be termed a "snooty neighborhood". I have banged, beat, welded, primed and painted there. Not a negative word from anyone (except my wife). But we won't go there. The reason is respect and understanding for what and who is around me. Hell...I have neighbors coming by wanting to see how the car is coming along. All along wishing they had something like that going on. Some come by to visit don't have a clue what kind of mess I have been making in the garage.

The key is... I know my surroundings and what it takes to get along. 99% is communicating with others and respect for your environment.

Sorry...I had to repeat myself......along with these thoughts.

Earlier in this thread I was berated by some for stating... I was insulted for this thread to even be in this forum. I was quickly corrected by some... that this is the General Discussion topic area and if I would read and take time I would be able to figure these more difficult aspects out....etc. :stupid: That was actually a mis-statement on my part.

Actually ...the sentiment I was attempting to convey was this... there are numerous posts by individuals who are condoning, sharing their childish antics and generally supporting behavior that screws things up for the rest of those attempting to follow simple regulations designed to maintain the value of everyones investment.

It is insulting....to the integrity and effort most of us put forth to amiably co-exist with neighbors while pursuing our hobby. I read 30 posts condoning and trying to figure out ways to get even, skirt the law, and generally how to thumb your nose at societies standards before I said something.

..(snip)...If somebody owns property he ought to be able to do with it what he wants. Its none of the neighbors business.

Last post in this thread because none of this belongs on this site but I'll leave this thread by saying this: That's just not true.

The new law applies to automobile collectors, defined as those who collect and restore motor vehicles whether as a hobby or a profession.* To comply, collectors would maintain hobby cars out of ordinary public view, a sight line within normal visual range by a person on a public street or sidewalk adjacent to the private property.* This provision would be achieved by means of suitable fencing, trees, shrubbery, etc.

“Kentucky lawmakers were eager to work with us and the state’s hobbyist community to create reasonable and fair compromise legislation permitting outdoor storage of hobby cars and parts if they are maintained in such a manner as not to constitute a health and safety hazard.* We are especially indebted to Representative Mike Denham for spearheading this effort.”*

http://ZHome.com

This is exactly what I meant when I said...."Communicating and knowing how to work with the environment your in".

If somebody owns property he ought to be able to do with it what he wants. Its none of the neighbors business.

Isn't going to happen, as my car looks like any other operable car (even when it isn't operable) and wasn't missing an engine for more than 1 week, etc.

People who own property sign documents when purchasing the property. In those signed documents you are agreeing to the rules set down in writing which should have been read prior to signing.

Don't like the rules, don't sign, buy property in the nearest cesspool neighborhood. You can live with Jed, Ellie May, Jethro, and Granny and cook possum stew in the front yard if you want. If your community changes the rules and you don't like the rules, pack your $hit and move to where you DO like the rules.

Property owners can do whatever they want to do with their property so long as it doesn't violate law or negitively impact the property of others.

Don't be so myopic, look at the broad picture. The world DOES exist beyond your fence.

Unfortunately, I'm going to have to disagree with you. When you move into a neighborhood with convenants (as I have), you sign those covenants upon closing on your property. If they specify certain limits on vehicles, etc.... then you must comply. I love the Constitution as much as the Founders, but this has nothing to do with personal property rights and the government. It has to do with personal property rights and contracts. Anyway, I'm sure we've been beating a dead horse.