IGNORED

Monitoring Air/Fuel ratio article - Aus.

kmack

http://www.autospeed.com/cms/A_0217/article.html

Has anybody seen this article? The complete article? I'm looking for the remainder of the article (passed the password protection). I want to use this type of setup to help monitor my fuel mixture from my SU's.

If anybody has access to this site and can send me the rest of the article, I'd appreciate. I just want to find out how to build this thing.

Thanks.

kmack, I've seen these items for sale through a number of performance outfits for as little as $125.00....some are more expensive. Requires welding in a bung for the O2 sensor and mounting the readout display in your interior. I would think, unless one has all the materials, knowledge and time, it would be less expensive and alot simpler to just purchase a unit that already complete and tested. Just a thought!!!

While standard oxygen sensors are relatively narrow band (12-16:1) they indicate well as long as they are at proper operating temperature. Each LED in the (Autometer gauge) rich and lean areas represent .5 change in mixture strength. So you can map out the lights and 12.7:1 (maximum power) is approximately at the 3:00 position on the gauge.

Jaycar used to stock some of them here, but i don't think they still do anymore. They are good for showing a general level - like if you're way lean or rich. BUt, they tend to sor of show up a couple of LEDs at a time apparently. I don't think that they are good enough for selecting a new needle or anything, but would be interesting to look at nevertheless.

I think Jaycar also stocked a realtime LCD thing with a bargraph and 3 figure (eg 14.2) display that would be slightly more useful.

Let us all know if you have success (or dissappointment) with a particular method/product, i would also be interested in a simple set up like this if it worked well.

These things are a very rough guide to your actual A/F if I am not mistaken

I do realize that this would only indicate proper air/fuel ratio to a sort of general level. BUt since I'm not applying it to a FI system, it should be ok. I have had my ratio tested while dyno'ing the car before. Good information. But I'd like to have a system that I can monitor while driving. Real world scenarios, know what I mean?

The website article claims to show exactly what is needed to build the piece, but it's apparently in the next section of the article that can only be viewed with a subscription. They do list the piece as being available for sale, something like $12 or $13 + shipping from AUS. I can't see entering a subscription just for this one article and the shipping of the piece will put the price damn near above the subscription. I just want the rest of the article to build the thing myself. I need the parts list, really.

I've been thinking about monitoring the air/fuel ratio now for quite some time. But current available gauges are now out of my reach since I got laid off from work last week. My current plan of attack is to have one gauge with two oxygen sensors - one for each carb - with a switch to read each sensor. That way I can better control my mixture.