IGNORED

Ok, here is the poll!

hls30.com

Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity?

• Yes
    • No

Mr. Camouflage,

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have wasted the energy to post, you cranky knocker! ROFL

Will

ROFLROFLROFL

Dunno enternal pessamist I guess, well when i'm cranky.

What energy? couple of finger movemnets and a mouse click or two.

Went to a swap meet and found a 260Z toy car with racing bodykit for $2 today, so i'm not so cranky today:)

Now back to your chalk marks discussion....

My 2 cents, I bought some nissan replacement badges, and the 240Z and Datsun badges for the rear hatch are different to the original ones. The original have sharp edges, and the new ones have rounded edges. the script is identical, just the surrounding black parts that are different.

So since they are the Nissan replacement parts with the same part number, but they are different to the original badge, what does that make them?

Come on Mr. Camouflage,

An Aussie Salute is just a couple of finger movements too! :tapemouth

Every one knows a bloke can get a great deal more enjoyment using your "finger movements" :stupid: some place else-you don't even need mouse clicks-not my bowl of rice, mind you, but some of the fellas give it a go! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I reckon a jumbuck and a motorbike wouldn't hurt the old fella either ROFL -thanks for the photo Carl-it is burnt into my retnas!

Before you spit the dummy, that could be a furphy, but I reckon even a septic can be a larrikin! :cheeky:

On the badges"

"I bought some nissan replacement badges, and the 240Z and Datsun badges for the rear hatch are different to the original ones. The original have sharp edges, and the new ones have rounded edges. the script is identical, just the surrounding black parts that are different.

So since they are the Nissan replacement parts with the same part number, but they are different to the original badge, what does that make them?"

The answer is sweet parts on a sick car that aren't authentic!

:laugh: ROFL

Will

:D Hey, if Mr K touches the part, it is by default "authentic".

Well it sounds good anyway. If you are restoring a car, and you buy all parts from Nissan and they sell you a Nissan part that is called out in the microfiche, I don't see how any show judge can judge you to be not authentic. Now if you're up against a car that rolls out of a garage with all the parts it came out of the dealer with, then it is likely more authentic, not counting dealer added parts.

If you are restoring a car, and you buy all parts from Nissan and they sell you a Nissan part that is called out in the microfiche, I don't see how any show judge can judge you to be not authentic.

LOL tell that to a ZCCA judge and see how far it gets you on a (restored) Stock Class car.

From the Dictionary:

re·store ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-stôr, -str)

tr.v. re·stored, re·stor·ing, re·stores

2. To bring back to an original condition

From ZCCA:

A) STOCK CLASS

Vehicles exhibited must be configured exactly as shipped from factory (NOT DEALER). Cars with Dealer add-ons such, as wheels, other than stock tires, side moldings, etc. can enter this class with deductions for same. Radios, paint color, tires, etc. must be as shipped. A/C must be factory installed except 240Z which may have same A/C as installed by dealer, i.e. ARA or Frigid King, with basic York compressor. Daily Drivers can enter this class if desired. (This section will be reviewed at a future date.)

Good poll!! I hope we get a lot of responses from various people on this subject. If you are reading this, give your opinion!! We want to hear it. The same people responding to these threads over-and-over can get a bit dull.

As far as my opinion... I believe the question asks about "authenticity" of a vehicle. If you wanted an authentic replica of something, you'd want a COPY. Or, at least something close to a copy.

I also believe that some parts improved between the models and some parts degraded between the models. It all depends on the level someone has modified a vehicle before I consider it not-authentic.

There are so many common parts between the 240z, 260z, and 280z I believe most of them could be considered fair game. But, if you are shooting for pure authenticity, then all parts should be made for the model of car you want.

Late as usual, sorry. You put in a 5-spd in a 240, it fits, as does the R200 from a '89, then the L28 and the 280 radiator. It's no longer stock, period. Even if Nissan made all these parts. Or how about a little more nitpicky. You replace your heater hose and the replacement doesn't have the braided cover and it's your stock 240 up against another stock 240 with braided hoses. All other things being equal the Z with the original parts wins over the one with replacement ones. Or in thecase of a stock 240 in LA in '04, the car had a fiberglass fan shroud, clearly a replacement part since the original was metal.

But to me this is the bottom line, only people who care about what stock is and people who want to invest in a stock car need be concerned.

If you want to find out just how "stock" your Z is come show it at a national ZCCA convention. Starting in '03, I proposed and implemented a plan that in addition to the usual judges pre-show meeting, a separate owners meeting be held to go over the rules and car classification. We even did some informal pre-show classification audits. In '04 at the Long Beach ZCCA convention there was a formal pre-show audit process with over a half-dozen inspectors that went over about 30 cars. Nearly half had been registered in the wrong class (too many mods for the class they had registered in). Now you can enter any class you want, it's just that you'll lose a lot of points for doing so if you pick the wrong one.

It's easier to get a better score if you enter a stock car in street modified than in stock since it's likely there are some non-stock items you missed or didn't realize you had (or didn't have but should have - smog pump, say).

Okay I gotha go now and see if the rebuild I did on the dishwater (after the Pat's victory in the Superbowl!! and several alcoholic beverages) didn't make it worse.

Starting in '03, I proposed and implemented a plan that in addition to the usual judges pre-show meeting, a separate owners meeting be held to go over the rules and car classification. We even did some informal pre-show classification audits. In '04 at the Long Beach ZCCA convention there was a formal pre-show audit process with over a half-dozen inspectors that went over about 30 cars. Nearly half had been registered in the wrong class (too many mods for the class they had registered in). Now you can enter any class you want, it's just that you'll lose a lot of points for doing so if you pick the wrong one.

It's easier to get a better score if you enter a stock car in street modified than in stock since it's likely there are some non-stock items you missed or didn't realize you had (or didn't have but should have - smog pump, say).

I can not stress how important it is to go to the owners meeting or even have a show rep come look at your car for a ZCCA show. When in doubt, have the car checked out!

FWIW

Vicky

.....quite right re: 5-spds being "stock" trannies in 240s sold in markets other than North America, but since I was speaking in regards to the ZCCA (z car clubs of america) that might have clued you in to that of which I had spoken....a non-NA stock car would be judged under a different set of rules if it ever happened.