IGNORED

Ok, here is the poll!

hls30.com

Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity?  

83 members have voted

1. 1. Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity?

• Yes
    • No

No I don't think it should, I am happy to buy a car that has later brakes, hoses, etc..

However if you put 280z lights in a 240z then I'd say that's incorrect. I guess it depends on tastes.

I think a good guideline is to use parts that Nissan improved over the years say an electronic dizzy for example.

No. Can any one give an explanation of why the part was replaced with a different part number for the same application? Was it due to a recall (was that word even used by a mfr back then) or some saftey application/defect? Was the originally fitted part a poor design and the engineers quickly went back to the drawing boards to fit a better part in place of the original? Did the original part stress and break while testing the vehicle? The factory already had so many of these parts 'on-hand' and not to stop delivery of cars, inferior parts may have been used. Remember, were talking about the late 60's / early 70's here. Was a part produced later (mid production year) by a different subcontractor (been reading too many of Kats posts) due to quality, quanity?

I don't think this was really the intent of the poll, but those would be my reasons for doing so.

I look forward to the other responses to come.

FWIW, and only IMHO

Wayne

"Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity? "

I think that the form of the question begets a discussion as to the terms used.

Factory designated "Replaced By" parts are what you would receive if you were still taking your car to the dealer for service. Does that mean that Dealer Repairs are devaluating your car when they effect maintenance "by the book". Does that then render some of these vehicles with "pristine service records" going back to the first oil change as less valuable or less authentic?

Then the word authenticity implies that there is a STANDARD to which the vehicle in question can be compared to in order to gauge the level of "authentic" parts. Authentic implies being fully trustworthy as according with fact or actuality. In this case, that STANDARD once again applies, and as yet, I'm not aware of a Z specific standard that everyone would agree to.

If by authenticity you are referring to no "make-do" parts, that is, substituting a set of Corvette Tail-Lights, swapping out the transmssion with one that was not available to that model, making a modification to the vehicle such that you would NOT have received the car with it, then I agree with your reference. However, the FACTORY word in front of a part would, in my opinion, render the question of authenticity moot.

Then you can get into the realm of "accepted" non-factory designated brands or items. Is everyone using "Elephant" oil? (or whatever it's name was) Fan Belts, Air Breather elements, Fuses, and all the other disposable items that are used during regular maintenance.

How about tires? I'll bet that 9/10 of the club fails on that alone. The tenth that wouldn't fail are those vehicles that have been in a time capsule with the original tires. That means that anyone with over 40,000 miles on the odometer BETTER have a new set of originally designated tires or their car is worth less.

2¢

Enrique

"Does using "FACTORY" interchanged parts in a restoration hurt its authenticity? "

I think that the form of the question begets a discussion as to the terms used.

Factory designated "Replaced By" parts are what you would receive if you were still taking your car to the dealer for service. Does that mean that Dealer Repairs are devaluating your car when they effect maintenance "by the book". Does that then render some of these vehicles with "pristine service records" going back to the first oil change as less valuable or less authentic?

Then the word authenticity implies that there is a STANDARD to which the vehicle in question can be compared to in order to gauge the level of "authentic" parts. Authentic implies being fully trustworthy as according with fact or actuality. In this case, that STANDARD once again applies, and as yet, I'm not aware of a Z specific standard that everyone would agree to.

If by authenticity you are referring to no "make-do" parts, that is, substituting a set of Corvette Tail-Lights, swapping out the transmssion with one that was not available to that model, making a modification to the vehicle such that you would NOT have received the car with it, then I agree with your reference. However, the FACTORY word in front of a part would, in my opinion, render the question of authenticity moot.

Then you can get into the realm of "accepted" non-factory designated brands or items. Is everyone using "Elephant" oil? (or whatever it's name was) Fan Belts, Air Breather elements, Fuses, and all the other disposable items that are used during regular maintenance.

How about tires? I'll bet that 9/10 of the club fails on that alone. The tenth that wouldn't fail are those vehicles that have been in a time capsule with the original tires. That means that anyone with over 40,000 miles on the odometer BETTER have a new set of originally designated tires or their car is worth less.

2¢

Enrique

What he said. I agree with my fellow Washingtonian. Gary

Yeah I agree totally.

If you leave a car in a time capsule things end up drying out or going brittle like bushes etc.. It's better to have a car that is driven regularly and serviced regularly and parts replaced that come with a Nissan part number.

You forgot an option:

Dont care.

I'm in this catagory.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now with that said, authentic is authentic. Period. Terms like "replaced by parts" , "make do parts", "accepted parts" simply muddy the waters as they are not defined by any widely accepted description. Accepted by WHO? Me? You? the guy next door? billramsey2002?

There IS a Z specific standard.....for a car to be an "authentic" 19XX Z, it must be fitted with the exact type (version) of Nissan OEM parts that it would have had when it left the FACTORY. Period. Just because a mirror from a Maxima will fit on the car, does not make it an "authentic" part.

HLS30-00026, if fitted with a Hatch glass with horizontal demister elements would NOT be "authentic". Nor would a 1971 240Z that should have vertical demister lines be authentic if retro-fitted with a hatch glass with horizontal lines.

As for "Elephant" oil, if it can be determined (without the use of sophisticated scientific equipment) that the oil in the crankcase is other than "Elephant brand", then for all intents and purposes the car would be inauthentic.

Want to see if "factory interchanged parts" hurts the authenticity of a car, take a car to a ZCCA event and enter it in the STOCK class. Ya'll will find out quickly enough!

Enrique,

From the first part of what you wrote:

"Factory designated "Replaced By" parts are what you would receive if you were still taking your car to the dealer for service. Does that mean that Dealer Repairs are devaluating your car when they effect maintenance "by the book"", you got the relevence of the question posed in the poll.

As to the the bit about tires, your argument makes my point exactly. Lots of Zs have been repainted the right color, but not with the right paint. Nissan had part numbers listed in the fiche for specific paint, not just specific color. Unless the car was bought and placed in a vacuum(or absolutely devoid of any maintanence), some factory supplied parts will have been replaced, changing the level of authenticity. Beign reasonable has nothing to do with the truth.

Alfadog

I thought that requiring a replacement part to listed in the Nissan Fichefor a specific model would have made it very clear what I am talking about. Lots of Genuine Nissan parts will fit, but only a few were superceeded with new Nissan part numbers within Nissans' Dealer parts list. There are no aftermarketparts listed in the Nissan Fiche as authorized and supplied by this club . If you go to the dealer to buy a new front crossmember for a late 240Z, (assuming the dealer does not have an original piece in stock, and has to order it from Nissan, you will not get the part number listed on the line out of the parts fiche for a '73 240z, You will get a part number listed on a line corresponding to a later model, but indicated as a proper and acceptable replacement for the 73 as well. Those parts listed in the Nissan Fiche are the only parts I am talking about. The only standard used in this thread is the parts must be called for the model in question in the Nissan parts fiche.

Mr. Camouflage,

If you didn't care, you wouldn't have wasted the energy to post, you cranky knocker! ROFL

Carl, I am looking for your view, not someone elses. I want to know what Carl thinks, not what the ZCCA thinks.

Will