IGNORED

How much $$ have you spent on your Z ?

daddz

How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?

• Under $1,000
    • $1,000 to $2,000
    • $2,000 to $4,000
    • $4,000 to $8,000
    • $8,000 to $12,000
    • $12,000 to $16,000
    • More than $16,000

i added up the cost of what i could remeber back in 1990 whn i finished my full rebuild and then some more modifications was over $30,000 aus dollars and the only labour i paid for was uphosltery and outside srpay job gave up counting after that have done brakes carby and heaps of small things since and still more i want to do oh well better than pissing it up a wall wouldnt have anything to show for it then

Mick

• 2 weeks later...

I don't want to own up to the cost of my project really because some one might post it to my wife's PC. LOL . I am one of the oldest members here,in years 65, and I do almost all my own work. I bought the '73 for $500.00 and drove it home . Barely. After a complete tune up the car worked great . I found rust under the Batt. just surface and the pass floor was shot. I had no Idea what to look at when I bought the car. I did the complete brake rebuild and '79ZX ignition and drove the car as is for 2 yrs. I have sence reduced the car to a rolling shell and am about to repaint . I have spent about $750.00 on the floor and rust repair . I am figuring the paint to be about 600.00 for materials counting primer and sand paper and such . Misc. gaskets and parts $300. I rebuilt the brakes with new rotors $150. new ujoints $100. Diff. R-200 $100. Replaced the engine with built '82ZX /w cam and head work. used $500. I still need seat covers another $200. My mags are fine but tires will be about $200. The POR for the car including everything was about $275This is off the top of my head but it comes to about $3700. and I have been working on this labor of love for about 2yrs , free labor. But have enjoyed every secound of it. I have spent $ on extra carbs and fenders ,bumpers and such not figured in. escanlon has helped me greatly with the body and paint . I know there are other things that have not listed but this is a rough accounting . Gary

• 3 weeks later...

Well right now I'm doing the body (i.e., rust repair, body/paint work). I have $2500 in the rust repair alone, and the rust wasn't bad for a Z. Just switched in a '72 4-sp tranny and new clutch, $500+. The remaining bodywork still has and long ways to go and will be close to $5000 + new weather seals. Anyone have an opinion on whether keeping the original Nissan glass is worth it, or does replacing the windshield with non-Nissan part not make much difference? I'm wondering about the originality issue. Anyway, it sure doesn't take long to ring up the dollars, does it? LOL

Yeah, my father had two convertible E Type jags, a '68 roadster w/inline 6 and a '72 V12 convertible and they were always being worked on. The good news, I learned to drive a stick in the '72 and developed a real appreciation for the long smooth curves that was a primal component of my Z car obsession. I still give him a hard time when I get the chance to point one out in the Robb Report that's going for $65,000!

just kidding about the tr6. i've heard those english cars are in the shop more than on the road, plus very expensive to maintain.( just ask my bro-he has a jag.he claims his mechanic has put more miles on it than him)

• 1 month later...

I'm well into the several thousands from engine at about 4-5,000 with machine shop work,injectors, painless wiring, skyline 5spd trans, paint and detail. The body is in the process of the second time House of Colors paint scheme so I had the engine bay and all the door openings done this time this all at a tune of around 6-7,000. Wheels, tires, suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes sent me into the poor house but have been done as well at the tune of 2-3,000...luckily my interior only had to recieve the 4,000 stereo and the rest was in mint condition...so I'm wrong on the total its hovering around 20 grand.

Not all spent yet but budgeted and in the build plan :

LHD Californian 1971 240Z imported to UK $7000

Conversion to RHD and stitch weld shell $2800

Paint $8000

Suspension (Proflex) $6000

Brakes (AP) $6000

Engine (Corvette LS6) $7,500

Gearbox (T56 including clutch, bellhousing etc) $2000

Wheels (Work) $1600

Tyres (Pirelli P Zero) $1600

Seats (Cobra Misano) $2600

Custom loom (all new wires) $2000

This is assuming a 2:1 conversion rate which is actually 1.93 at the moment. Still to add, interior trim, custom exhaust, ECU, fuel pump, Lights, flares, front airdam, rubber seal kit, fuel cell, roll cage etc etc etc

Ever wish you hadn't started something ?? :ermm:

Will be a brand new car in a 1971 bodyshell when I have finished.

Ever wish you hadn't started something ?? :ermm: Will be a brand new car in a 1971 bodyshell when I have finished.

Oh yea, been there. I have about 1/3 the investment as you (so far). But, I do wish sometimes that it wasn't ever started -- ie: That I just fixed a few things and kept it on the road.

HOWEVER, I do believe it isn't a unique situation. There are many people who spend lots of money on a fun hobby such as this. I am also a member of the Factory Five Racing club and there are many other people who spend $60k on a "project" like this (in any kind of form).

When restoring or building a car it is not unlikely to spend at least $25k - $35k.

-- Mike

I can't believe that I am lining this out:

240Z chassis with blown up motor in southern california $1000.00

Labor to strip chassis including drivetrain $500.00

Bodywork and paint $6000

Custom fabrication for fuel cell, rollcage, seat brackets, stitchwelded chassis and minor rust repair $8000 from PDK Fabrication

Engine, Carbs, custom header, oil filter adapter, racing oil pan -"Priceless" BRE original equipment

American Le Mans Wheels (two sets) -more money than I care to admit to

Custom exhaust with megaphones $550

custom suspension from DP Racing $2400

Coilovers, struts etc $1150

Labor Misc. $2000

racing 4 wheel allignment $300

two close ratio overdrive 5 spds $800 each (rebuilt)

two R-190's one 3.9 one 4.44 $1450.00

fiberglass hood $500.00

custom fiberglass headlight covers $300

front spook, rear 432 spoiler $300

euro tail lights $300 (three years ago)

AN Fittings for oil, fuel and brakes $1600

plus much, much more that I left out.....

The look on Peter Brock's face when he drove the car last weekend- Priceless

The look on Peter Brock's face when he drove the car last weekend- Priceless

No way! I saw the pictures in the gallery, but, do you have some of Pete driving the car or at least standing next to it? That is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. Get any good signatures?

-- Mike