IGNORED

How much $$ have you spent on your Z ?

daddz

How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?  

291 members have voted

1. 1. How much $$ have you invested in your Z(s)?

• Under $1,000
    • $1,000 to $2,000
    • $2,000 to $4,000
    • $4,000 to $8,000
    • $8,000 to $12,000
    • $12,000 to $16,000
    • More than $16,000

I saw a similar thread on another message board and thought this would be more interesting on this forum. I'll start with my own summary of the various Z cars in my stable:

1977 280Z HLS30366531: No file when I bought it except a few months later I went looking through the owner's manual and found the original bill of sale! The file is growing (about $800 in parts and labor so far).

1978 280Z HLS30437667: One big mother of a file going back to '78 from the original owner to me. It's my avatar at classiczacrs.com--daddz.

An example of big money spent on this car: a body shop receipt dated from '95 for $8,000.00! The receipts total a little more than $23,000 since '78!

1978 280Z HLS30448652: No file when I bought it because I bought it from a junkyard! I have added a small group of receipts that total about $2500.00.

1978 280Z HLS30456240: No file when bought since it was a rescue purchase from Datsun Dynamics but, the recipts for the parts that were transferred from the old orange '78 280Z (HLS30431775) total about $4000.00.

1981 280ZX: Another mother of a file. This car has all of her receipts from date of delivery through me and I am the fifth owner (the second owner was also the fourth owner). The third owner spent a little more than $17,000.00 on this car in the four years that he owned it (I know about the slippery slope that he slid down with this car since I have done it with my '86 300ZX).

1982 280ZX: A good file here although it only goes back through to the second owner from '86 to the present. I have added about $2000.00 to the file since I bought it in early 2003.

1986 300ZX: This file wasn't very big when I bought it because the original owner gave it to her son and he traded the car in after owning it for about three months. I tracked back to the original owner and she remembered the major service and read it off to me via the telephone. Since buying the car I have spent about $9500.00 on this car since December of 2001.

2003 350Z: I bought this one new and I have all the records since before it even got here.

Total on all my receipts came to around $18K and we're not completely done....ouch! I look back now and it was $$$ well spent, for sure!!! Would I do it again? Obviously yes, but with what I know now, about these very cool cars, the price tag would likely be even higher!

You told me at the winter car show, Vicky. Actually, I thought it was rather inspirational.

I have a file cabinet in the royal archives dedicated to the financial transactions. Are we talking just parts? How about services, supplies and tools?

Princess 27 has been showing at a local body club up in Tampa and doing special hurricane party engagements. So far, she has made $11.25, however if we have another hurricane, I'm sure she will make more. Her Majesty is a total priss and won't do anything unless I spend money on her.

On my previous Z (rebuild completed in 1982) the total was over $10K

For my current Z, I save my receipts but will not add up the costs. Still remember the quesy feeling I had when I did it in 82. I have collected a lot of parts that have yet to make it onto the car. Someday.............................

Chris,

I was including labor if applicable (of course my labor is free so that doesn't count) since the Nissan senior tech that is kind enough to work on my junk, er Z cars in the evenings after his day job and we don't want to think about what storage would cost especially for the trollup that calls itself HLS30448652. That car was purchased in Dec. '98 and it hasn't seen the road since Sept. of '95. Maybe next month he'll see the roads again.