IGNORED

Very rare 240Z emblem

kats

Originally posted by billramsey2002

can someone tell me what its suposed to have?

If yours is round with a Z in the middle, it is covering the quarter panel vent. This is what is supposed to be there if you do not have the vented hatch (thin, horizontal vents on either side under the window on the hatch) .

Thank you all,

My HLS30-02156 (03/70)had white Z emblems before a restoration.I think they were original but now I am not sure because

when I was told about "NISSAN consumer guide(orange 240Z on the top cover) " says aprroximately 2500 240Zs from the begining

have chrome Z emblem.

To see the parts catalog,the first piller emblems are,

76807(8)-E4600 up to 01/70

76807(8)-E4601 from 02/70

76807(8)-E4602 up to 12/70

I guess chrome Z is -E4600,but it is only up to 01/70.

According to Carl Beck's web page data,and my reserch from the NISSAN shatai factory, it is clear that up to 01/70 can not reach 2500 240Zs.My english makes sence?

So I was skeptical about "NISSAN consumer guide".

But hi,240ZX!!Your 240Z is very close VIN to my Z,only 30 240Zs are between of ours.And you have got chrome Z emblem!!

Now I want to slide to chrome Z emblems on my 240Z.

Alan,I need your help about fairlady's emblem parts number.

Because I found very very early fairlady-Z(like showing in the press photo and the first brochure or showed up at the day for journalists of pre-annuncement)has different piller emblem as you posted here.

The difference is very small.Coloring is different,looking at the Alan's photo, around Z is just black.But the press photo of I post here,around Z there is a silver round triming.Can you see what I am talking about?

I think there is some relation between chrome 240Z emblem and

very very early fairlady-Z emblem.Their change had made at same time?Anyway why NISSAN changed these small things on such an early day?Once I asked Mr.MATSUO about this,but he just did not remember.

kats

post-3193-1415079358556_thumb.jpg

press photo of Z432R.Also very early quater Z emblem.

Hi 26th-Z,I did not know the fuel lid knob is made of plastic on the 1969 240Z!I noticed knob is closed at vertical position seeing many photo or magazine of earliest 240Z's driving impression.

This Z432R has also vertical closed position.This proves this car is very very early production.

Do you know so many japanese envy fuel lid knob because it is only equipped on Z432R in japan.So hard to see this in japan,other japanese S30 has key-locked fuel lid.

post-3193-14150793586323_thumb.jpg

Kats,

How difficult is it to obtain the lock shown on the last photo? I have seen very few on the U.S. sold S-30's. It may have been a dealer swapped option, but I remember having seen them on the Z's I saw in Okinawa early on.

I do remember that my 70 240Z had a locking gas door. I purchased it in Jan 1970. I wish I could remember the vin. Hell, I was only 19 then. I bought a 72 two years later and two thngs I remember was the 70 had a locking gas door, the 72 didn't, and the 72 had a rear window defroster while the 70 didn't. Like I said on another thread, Datsun bought the 70 back from me for what I paid for it, two years later! I think they knew then what I know now!:stupid:

My 71 has the latch as well as one of the 72's (very early car) and the late 72 has none. The 73 I had I do remember having the locking cover, as it froze up once in the winter and I had a %^## of a time getting it open when I was running around on fumes.

Don't know if it was a dealer add on or not, as I've seen a few of the locking gas doors but not many.:ermm:

Another assembly line mystery maybe?

I'll have to get some pictures for you kats. The metal latches have smooth rounded edges, and the plastic latches are square cut without any taper or roundness(?) to the edges. #16 has a plastic one and my car used to have the plastic thumb latch, but after 30 years..... I was trying to clean it and broke it. The plastic latch looks as though it was a part for prototype before refined for production.

I was talking to Chloe about the gas door locks and didn't realize how unique they are. I suspect they were keyed with the doors and deck lid - seperate from the ignition?

Back to the subject - too bad the part number is not on the part! I think you have a good explanation of E4600, chrome Z, but I don't think the dates apply exactly to production. Only to part inventory. My explanation would be that E4601 was placed into service 2/70 and used after the E4600 part supply on the production line ran out. That would explain why later cars would have an earlier part. I don't know this, but if there were several production lines, parts on one line may have been different from parts on another line depending on how fast they were used up. One line may have started using E4601 as soon as it was available while another line may have used E4600 through 3/70.

After discussing this with you, kats, and thinking "unique is a good thing", I am inclined to use the chrome Zs.