IGNORED

Speedometer jumping needle from 0 to 10 mph

jalexquijano

On 3/1/2017 at 9:23 AM, jalexquijano said:

Any slight possibility that the speedometer clock could be damaged?

Could be, or it could just be dirty.  There's a round thing that spins inside a round thing, or close to it, with a narrow gap between them.  Stuff can get in the gap.  If you're handy you could remove it and use a drill motor to spin it to see if it still sticks.  That takes the cable out of the picture.  I think that I've read of people just blowing out the dust accumulation and bring them back to life.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+a+speedometer+works&site=webhp&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiNj8vd8sfSAhUDx2MKHfwqD84Q_AUICCgB&biw=1280&bih=890&dpr=1

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I think that I've read of people just blowing out the dust

That's what I couldn't remember about this. I tried it and ended up replacing my cable. 

From Zcardepot.com  New speedometer cable for Datsun 240Z, 260Z and 280Z, 1970-1978.  Replaces the stock speedo cable. Part #: 800-045   If your speedometer is not working or is jumping around this cable might be the fix.  

So I would check out your speedo before ordering the cable. It also doesn't say its a Nissan part but.... 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...