IGNORED

Car pulls Left Under Braking

Steve49841

The car is a 1972, the previous owner replaced brake hoses, pads and shoes. The left front pad is showing more wear then the right. I have flushed the system with fresh dot4, removed the front pads and exercised the caliper pistons in and out and it still pulls left. So...assuming the problem is insufficient hydraulic pressure to the right front brake pad would you place your money on the brake fail indicator switch, a caliper problem, air in the system or something else...

One quick check would be to verify the self-adjusting rear brakes are properly adjusted and stay adjusted. Many other cars adjusted drum brakes by applying the brakes while backing up. Our Z's have a different mechanism. They are adjusted by repeatedly applying the hand brake.

Many of us never use the hand brake and the rears can go out of adjustment over time. Also, with the rarity of rear drums today, a mechanic's proficiency levels may be found wanting.

I'd be hard pressed to believe the problem is low pressure on the right. It's certainly possible, but I'd be more suspect of:

Sticky pistons or pads on the left that don't retract like they should?
Sticky pistons or pads on the right that don't extend like they should?

Air in the line to the right side caliper?

The pull to the left and excessive wear on the left side pads suggests you have a sticking caliper.  Are both left side pads equally worn or is one more worn than the other?  One side worn is probably a piston not returning, both sides worn might indicate an upstream problem keeping pressure on the entire caliper.  Apply Occam's Razor here - caliper rebuild kits are cheap and its an easy project.  It will give you a chance to inspect the bores and pistons for corrosion, pitting, ...etc.  Do both sides if you elect this option.

• Like 2

I have an issue with my emergency brake! If i want to stop the car with the E-brake it is not posible. It will only stop with the floor brake. However it does lock when parked in a hill and the car will not move. what could be wrong here? will i need to replace the brake shoes or pads or else?

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like a caliper rebuild or replace is in my future. I did exercise the park brake and rotated the tires front to back and the car stops a bit straighter but I think there is still room for improvement.

Yeah, I hear you that you exercised the pistons in and out. In theory that should have verified that they are OK, but if you're getting uneven wear up front, something's not right. Are the pads on each side the same as eachother? By that, I mean... I understand that driver's side is different than passenger side, but are both the pads on the drivers side the same or is one of them worn more than the other? What about pass side?

What are the chances that the pads are getting hung up on the caliper body? I've seen rusty chunks get in the way and pads that are a tiny bit too wide that don't move freely in the slot.