IGNORED

Hub Extenders

TomoHawk

These were discussed on the Ztrix website, as a way of putting bigger/wider wheels on your Z without buying custom wheels.  I have never heard much good about spacers, but these hub extenders seem different, so I wanted to ask.

FYI, I don't plan on any serious racing, but may do an occasional lap on a course if I get a chance- just not that quickly :D

For more details:  http://www.ztrix.com/frequently-asked-questions/wheels-and-tires.html

Interesting site, at one point I was trying to find a way to put 5 bolt, +25 offset wheels on the Z,

I was quoted $450 for custom hub extenders with a min. thickness of 1.5".

I didn't go that direction but these hub extenders open up a whole range of wheels that we could never consider before, and they are inexpensive.

I wouldn't be racing on them either, although I would probably knock out the studs on the extender and install longer studs mounted in the Z hub that would just pass through the extender making it into a spacer.

Chris

i've never heard of them referred to as hub extenders, but google "wheel adapters" and you should find many sources and just about any dimension you could dream up.

• typical price is about 40-50 per wheel.
  • you may need longer studs up front
  • pay attention to the hub bore.

i'm running a set now. they work, but i'd feel more confident if they weren't there.

Tire "scrubbing" the wheel arch

Uhhh, no.  Scrub is the arc that the tire makes on the ground when the wheels are turned.  The hub turns on the strut axis and if the wheels are pushed out, the tires will travel in an arc on the ground rather than simply rotating in place.

That said, wheel spacers don't necessarily increase the scrub radius.  If you install 40mm spacers and then use a +40mm offset wheel, the scrub radius is the same as stock.

jeff's response sort of begs another question.

one mechanic i spoke with seemed to think that my 16x7 +38 rims combined with 38mm wheel adapter would be stressing the bearings.

but unless i'm overlooking something, i've effectively maintained the same centerline, so there should be no problem. am i correct?

jeff's response sort of begs another question.

one mechanic i spoke with seemed to think that my 16x7 +38 rims combined with 38mm wheel adapter would be stressing the bearings.

but unless i'm overlooking something, i've effectively maintained the same centerline, so there should be no problem. am i correct?

Correct.  The bearings do not know the difference.  The loads would be exactly the same as if you use zero offset wheels.