IGNORED

Thinking about installing an BMW M6 engine in my Z

grannyknot

I have a 1987 M6 that I have dumped thousand$ into but there is no market for them at the moment so instead of selling it for 30 cents on the dollar I was thinking about keeping the freshly restored S38 (inline six 24 valve, dohc) engine an 5spd and part the rest the car out.

I've done the measurements and it will fit nicely into a Z.

What do you guys think?

Would I be creating too much of an odd ball?

Thanks,

Chris

Love it. there are a few vids and web pages of M engines in Z's. I think the engine has to tilt a bit to fit and maybe steering/cross member mods.

The L28 looks a lot like a motor from a unimog (Mercedes m180 engine) and the 280z has a German efi so German kit under the hood is OK

mb_unimog_404_M180_engine.jpg

Edited by Blue

I love BMW inline sixes and currently own 4 different BMW's with sixes. The engine is bullet proof because it has been around for years and an M motor makes great usable power. As I typed this though I had a thought. At one time our Z's were a dime a dozen now a number of years later they are starting to appreciate in value. If you keep your car whole and wait for all the other guys to part or crash their cars, yours will appreciate. I hate to see a nice car parted unless its a rusted out hulk...the same way I hate to see a classic Z parted or crushed...

Charles

• Like 1

Blue, you wouldn't have those websites bookmarked would you?

Zed, what a great thread! Just read through it and he has done most of the work for me.

Patcon, believe me, parting the M6 out is the last thing I would want to do after spending 4yrs of spare time and more $ then I care to add up on it.

But, the Z is the car I go to these days. On paper the M6 is superior in almost every way to the Z, except in all the ways that can't be measured.

The Z has my heart now.

So, I have this great car that doesn't get driven.

There is no market for them at the moment unless you pretty much give them away and it's going to cost more time and money to keep it up to wait for a time in the future when tastes change.

Besides, I could help all those other M6 and 635 owners by offering up parts they may need for their cars.

It is just a car after all, so that's my reasoning and this is all still in the "thinking about it" phase.

SteveJ, FB and me don't mix so I'll google him and send him a pm through the forums, thanks for the referral.

Chris

Blue, THANK YOU, I would love to see your bookmarked/favorites list, I'll bet it is a thing to behold.

SteveJ, I found that thread a couple of days ago, pretty great.

After going through most of threads posted I see a pattern of ECU problems, or maybe not problems but challenges, some of them big. What if I could avoid it all by installing triple carbs?

It would eliminate most of the electronics, which I have to admit aren't my favorite to play with. I know I would loose some power but the Z is about a 1000 lbs lighter than an M6 so I would still be far ahead.

I would need a stand alone ignition system, the Electromotive crank P/U

and separate coils might do the job well.

Still just thinking out loud.

Thanks,

Chris