Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

4 Neutral

About 240Znomad

  • Rank
    New Member


  • Map Location
    Orange, CA

My Z Cars

  • Zcars Owned

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. I had the same problem on my '71 240Z. Car would crank and start fine but as soon as I let the key return to the "ON" position it would die. I replaced the ignition switch thinking that was the most likely source of the problem but it didn't make a difference. I finally tracked it down to a loose/dirty connector on the ballast resistor. I removed the connectors, cleaned them real well, and made sure they were nice and tight when I put them back on and everything works fine now. I believe on the 240Z the ballast resistor is bypassed when in the START (ie. cranking) position but comes into play when the key returns to the ON position. I haven't looked at the 260Z electrical diagram but I would imagine that it might be similar.
  2. I had the same issue with one of my side marker lights as well. The metal housing was completely rusted out. I purchased the aftermarket ones on Ebay from Malaysia (or Thailand). I noticed a few things were different so I just took them apart and used the new metal housing but used the old, original rubber, outer metal trim, and plastic lens which were all still in good shape. I just cut the old bullet connector off the rusted original one and soldered it onto the new housing.
  3. 240Znomad

    Restoration of my 72 240Z

    Jaymanbikes, for your exhaust upgrade, it looks like you've got a stock exhaust manifold. Is that an E30? I'm looking to replace my current old exhaust (header has holes) and was looking at replacing it using a stock exhaust manifold and new exhaust system from MSA as well. Did you use the MSA Premium Exhaust System (for stock manifold)? If so, any tips or advice you have would be greatly appreciated. That OE yellow plating looks great, what shop did you use? I've got some parts that I would love to get re-plated.
  4. 240Znomad

    Lash pad fell off top of valve spring

    I removed the valve cover again and double checked the valve and everything looks fine. I'm not sure why it looks so strange in the picture, I'm guessing the camera zoom may be "distorting" it in some way. Diseaszd, before putting the lash pad and rocker back in place, I checked that both keepers were in place so I'm ok there. I'm interested in the tank liner issue as well (as jonathanrussell just posted) as I did have the tank cleaned and relined last year and the valve in question was in intake. Any more information on that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for all the replies, these Z forums are just a wealth of knowledge and a great help when it comes to troubleshooting and fixing these old Z cars.
  5. 240Znomad

    Lash pad fell off top of valve spring

    When I was putting the lash pad back on I didn't notice anything strange but I agree when looking at that picture it doesn't look right. I'm going to take the valve cover back off tomorrow and have another look at it!
  6. 240Znomad

    Lash pad fell off top of valve spring

    A lash pad came off on my '71 240Z today. I had never heard of that happening so I searched and found this thread. Valve adjustment nuts were tight and valves were adjusted a few months ago so I'm not sure why it came off. Fortunately, it happened in the garage while I was working on it (trying to get the float height set correctly) so I was able to shut it down quickly, pull the valve cover and locate the problem. Thankfully the lash pad was just sitting there right next to the valve it came off.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.