IGNORED

Closing holes in trunk when removing crash bumpers

Muzez

Hi Guys,

Just dropped the rear bumper on my 280z. There are now 3 holes on either side of the  trunk by the spare tire where the crash bumper bracket came through from the bottom. What did you guys do to close the holes to keep exhaust from coming back in? 

Will add a photo tomorrow in case my description is confusing, but tonight I need to try to convince my daughter to go back to bed. 😛

EB940FF4-7A24-4785-BFED-5E685287CA5B.jpeg

Or seriously, some Killmat or Dynamat foil with butyl backing sound insulation sheeting provides excellent adhesion and permanent seal. Put lots of it down while you’re at it.

D07EB5E0-80EA-44F2-AFD0-471E159EB25E.jpeg

Edited by zKars
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Was thinking a rubber grommet like what @SteveJ linked, but I figured I would ask in case there is a kit or something already available.

I am always pleasantly surprised what neat solutions the gaggle of degenerates wisemen/women on this forum come up with. 😛  

Thanks again guys!

Edited by Muzez
I can
  • Haha 1

I would weld a spoon bowl over the holes because the curvature of the spoon will create a Venturi effect at higher speeds and aid in redirecting the fumes back out while creating substantial downforce for road racing.   Ok not really but would be a good conversation starter

Edited by AZDatsun
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, AZDatsun said:

I would weld a spoon bowl over the holes because the curvature of the spoon will create a Venturi effect at higher speeds and aid in redirecting the fumes back out while creating substantial downforce for road racing.

Great idea!  Do you think it matters what kind of spoon to use, or is any ol' spoon just as good?