IGNORED

Z Security

Sean Dezart

Hello Mike - how ya goin' ?

Yeah, me too I like the idea of a removeable wheel and it WAS on my list of nice things to have on the new Z. Cost cut that one out but not definitively !

I would certainly have a custom cover made and maybe store it with the spare wheel - I know I would feel stupid if someone watched me but wheels are heavy things and it would only be a deterrent. As someone said, if they really want to steal it - up it goes on a truck and bye bye !

And what does one do at shows and meetings..... ?

The system to use is one of those quick release units used by touring car racers - there is no problem of it falling off - just the cost and fitting it to a standard Z hub !

Of course at night I would have removed the wheel and sat up in bed in front of my Steve McQueen Le Mans DVD !!!

Here's the scenario: You go to your local store or where ever your going, look pissed, shut off the car, open the hood, pull the coil wire (put it in you pocket or something), shut the hood and storm into the store. This makes anyone watching you (as most car theifs do) think your wicked pissed off that your car just broke down and won't even attemp to take your "Out of Order" Z.

(Sorry, no real value to the serious theft deterrent questions)LOL

Immobilizers WILL work on early cars, wether you short the starter to start or not. IF the immobilzer breaks the wire TO the coil (or FROM the coil to the dist), the car isn't going to start without that break being jumped. Additionally, an immobilizer CAN be used to cut power to an electric fuel pump, so that is an option as well.

Nothing will stop a determined thief with time to over-ride your deterrant system. All you can do is make your car less attractive to the opportunist thief.

Originally posted by symon

You could also fit a removable steering wheel boss & hide the steering wheel under your pillow !

I have a removeable steering wheel: Grant system. After you remove the wheel, you lock a protective cover over the hub. Any thief would have to first get the locked cover off, then attach a steering wheel with the special keyed handle. I can't think of any way to attach any thing to the hub to steer the car. Even if I could, I wouldn't drive away very fast.

Originally posted by Brett240

yes but first they have to realise thats the problem and then find a rotor to fit. its going to take a lot longer to solve than a kill switch.

***edit: especially in the middle of the night****

The thief who observes you leave the car will know what you've done(taken rotor). He just walks to the nearest Autozone & buys one or waits until next time he sees your car and he's be ready to drive your car home. With an immobilizer, he'd have to know it was installed, what circuit it breaks, and where; in order to defeat it. You could make it so that the power to the ditributor AND the power to the fuel pump are disconnected with separate immobilizers (redundancy)

With a kill switch he'd have to know it was installed and find it. (which could be easy or hard depending on how cleaver one is when installing it.

I agree with the coil or fuel pump switch in addition to an alarm , that will protect you from most thieves, the pro won't be concerned with that < nor much of anything else> and unfortunately if a pro wants it they will get it , if you watch where you park it most of the time alarms will be enough , as well as the time issue finding a cutoff switch to deter most , took a class on the subject it was most depressing, best thing to do is hide the switch in a spot where when starting the car regularly it isn't an unusual act to activate it , or as stated before hide it as another switch , that way if you are being watched they have an ideal that there is a switch for one and two where your abnormal movements can point them towards its location, in Cali lojack works well but here in fla there are so few tracking units being used its almost useless, :geek: love to see some post with pics if anyone draws anything up for a z , can't always carry my AK-47