IGNORED

Lead footed B's.

1 Bravo 6

I findparticular problems with people driving in the snow, where I am, it tends to snow maybe once every odd winter and when it does LOOK OUT!

Obviously a sensible driver would be extremely cautious in the snow due to the extreme lack of grip, several times I've had to watch myself at intersections as those same people who never use gears to slow down and only brake in the last 10m before the intersection are the same people who fly right through them in their vain attempts to stop.

It's all about driving FOR THE CONDITIONS, whether they be weather or road surface, car or otherwise.

I'll come clean, I've been done once for speeding, never had an accident in a car (Had 1 motorcycle crash, year before last, the engine seized and the rear wheel locked, I don't remember any of it, my brother was behind me on his bike, that's how I know.) and my speeding ticket was a bunch of pooh. The speedo on the car was out and I was in the passing lane UP A HILL no less, and got snapped for "135+" KPH the speedo said 115kph. That was in my brothers old 280ZX come to think of it. :D Bloody X that did it I reckon, if she'd have been a Z maybe it would have never happened. :)

Adaptation to the conditions which include weather, traffic, junctions, pedestrians etc and our brain CAN process all of that very quickly. Sometimes, just easing off the accelerater (and sometimes covering the brake) is enough.

My accidents (luckily w/out injuries) have taught me lots of things and I'm a better driver for them. Learnt the hard way but at least I'm still here to profit by my experiences and harp on and on and ....

Originally posted by 1 Bravo 6 You see, on average, We travell to Brisbane around every two months. Usually towing an 18 foot caravan.

Now, in Brisbane, (Sydney's WORSE), if you leave a nice, safe buffer zone between you and the car in front, you'll ALWAYS find a city driver who'll duck into that space, lessening your "Safety margin".

Funny thing is, ---I can STILL check my speedo and maintain a LEGAL speed. :D :D

*Datto grabs his shovel*

So your telling me you never accidentally exceed the speed limit, not even by 3km/h?

/dig :D

ROFLLOLROFLLOL

Ahhhhh, Justin,

Perhaps you should also use the :devious: smiley as I do.

No, I'm not perfect and, as I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't even class myself as a GOOD driver, merely COMPETENT.

Truthfully, yes, I have slipped above the limit on rare occassions around town only to drop back as soon as I realise it.

On the open highway, only when overtaking and then, only when a passing lane is available or when I can see a clear road ahead then, having overtaken as safely as possible, I drop back to the regulated speed for that area.

The "Other" car in the family is a series 3 AU Falcon whis is used for our frequent long trips. One of it's features is a warning BEEP that sounds whenever the speed setting is exceeded. I have it set for 100kph.

However, under no circumstances would I deliberately and knowingly exceed the speed limit just to indulge myself with a cheap thrill.

Now, THAT IS the voice of experience.

:devious: :devious: :devious:

Rick.

Geezz.....How many smilies do you want me to use? ROFL ROFL ROFLLOL LOL :D :D (damnit! I tried to put more smilies in but it wouldn't let me!)

I was just having a dig Rick, twas not meant seriously. ;)

Just as a point of interest, how did you drive when you were my age? And I don't mean that so I can say "har har, you drove like a tool too when you were young". More of less looking for some discussion of how things have changed since then. Road law, policing and peoples attitudes. :)

Originally posted by Datto-Zed

An interesting article for you all about speed cameras.

http://www.cis.org.au/policy/spr03/polspr03-1.pdf

Interesting article. As always, it has its own slant, and uses the statistics for its own purposes, but makes many good points about probable government misuse of the same statistics.

I've always been of the opinion that, within reason, the safest speed to drive is the speed you are comfortable driving at. I used to spend a lot of miles driving on the open freeways in the western US. I found that about 70mph was a comfortable speed for me then, even though the limit was 55mph. Note that the 55 mph limit in the US was implemented as a gas saving measure in the mid 1970's, and not originally for safety. Now that most speed limits on US highways are 65 or 70 mph, what speed do I drive on them? About 70 mph! That's the speed I'm comfortable driving on open, clear, dry highway, and thus I believe is the safest speed for me. I go slower when conditions warrent - weather, traffice density, etc.

And I wholeheartedly agree with the paper's premise that the most dangerous drivers are the ones that go very fast OR very slow. The slower drivers are usually the ones that have no clue how to drive their vehicles in anything but a straight line, and thus under any kind of unusual condition, are much more likely to be involved in an accident. The extreme speeders, of course, can't avoid the accident because they are going so much faster than the prevailing traffic flow.

Anyway, FWIW.

"However, under no circumstances would I deliberately and knowingly exceed the speed limit just to indulge myself with a cheap thrill." Boring ! Yes, I know I open myself to loads of criticism but why do you have a Z ? Unless you have regular and inexpensive access to circuits, one cannot enjoy these cars whilst ALWAYS obeying the speed limits !

I can appreciate a Z at just 30 mph but you've gotta have some fun or I might just as well keep it in a galss case or sell it to buy a restricted car (those reserved for people who've lost their licence, generally due to alcohol) !

My favourite speed is also 70 mph !

Here we go.

Sean, I may be an old fart whose get up and go has just about got up and gone but there's still a spark or two left in my distributor.

If I were to just drive around town or sit on the legal limit on the open road I'd agree with you, BORING !!!!!

My favorite "drive" is about an hour away from home. It's called the Mount Morgan Range. Steep with sharp bends. Half an hour away is the State Forrest where a lot of fun can be had WITHOUT excessive speed. Rallies are generally held there.

AHHHHH, now, JUSTIN my young friend. I knew you were only having a dig mate. So was I about the smilie.

To your question.

The first car I had was an old Austin A70. The original owner was a bloke named Noah who mainly used it to cart his family between his home and the Marina where he kept his boat, the Ark, moored.

By the time I got it the poor old thing was clapped out and flat out at 35mph. Had to take the gear changes veeery slowly. If I was a bit rough on the changes, the whole collumn would turn, locking it in that gear until I could pull over.

Had a lot of fun with that old car but she saw me through till I joined the Army then I didn't need a car.

So, the answer's no mate, I was never a reckless, lead footed speedster high on petrol fumes but I sure had a lot of fun.

Bear in mind that, Waaaay back then, most young blokes did'nt have their own cars. Normally you'd beg the "Old Man" to loan you his FJ and, being the "Old Man's", you mostly treated it with kid gloves if you hoped to ever borrow it again.

The cars that were owned by young blokes were generally clunkers that were noisy petrol guzzlers that could have been used by the Navy to provide a smoke screen for an armada.

Things really weren't that much different to today though. The blokes who had cars that were in reasonable nick would find a quiet stretch of road and have drags. They'd exceed the speed limit, they'd get caught, booked and fined, just like today, and the oldies would shake their heads and call them irresponsible larrikins. As I do now that I'm an old fart.

:devious: :devious:

Rick.

Originally posted by 1 Bravo 6 My favorite "drive" is about an hour away from home. It's called the Mount Morgan Range. Steep with sharp bends. Half an hour away is the State Forrest where a lot of fun can be had WITHOUT excessive speed. Rallies are generally held there.

Ahh...now. Define excessive speed. :devious:

Sean, what are the specs for a "restricted" car? As for my old fart driving habits, my style hasn't really changed over the years. Never really was a risk taker. Got one ticket in my life(failed to remain stopped at a red light while arguing with my first wife. The cop was the car behind me at the light). Probably the biggest risk I ever take is inhaling the exhaust gases when I go for a ride in the Z with the window down. My sister was the drag racer of the family. I had fun being a passenger while she drag raced down Van Nuys Blvd. every Friday night in her new 64 Corvette. Guess I got my fill. Typical "Valley" kids. Victor.