IGNORED

Best Starter Motors replacement

Yea I looked for the OEM one. No luck….
We’ve shutout our European operation at work and giving that work to to contractor. Major job cuts happening. The company seems to care only about quarterly profits after a hostile takeover of two board seats buy a hedge fund. They’re letting people go left and right . Almost all of our flight instructors were fired last week. A lady who worked in flight admin for 37 yrs was asked to leave. Super sad.

• Sad 2

The basic problem with any reman is it's always hit or miss.  The reman shops only examine the parts for obvious problems and wear and test various components electrically.  There's just no way to tell how close the used part is to failure.  Insulation breakdown, metal fatigue, etc.  

Business-wise, the only reason to introduce a new product to market is because the reman's are so bad.  Take some good pictures if you have time.  Interested to see what they're producing.  They do alternators also.

Cheaper than one of the reman's.  Although, if I was going to buy a reman, I'd buy a Remy.  They seem to produce good stuff.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/nissan,1978,280z,2.8l+l6,1209260,electrical,alternator+/+generator,2412

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Nothing $620 USD won't fix.....

image.png

or a mere $311 from Partsouq. I have bought lots of goodies from these guys. Cheapest Nissan parts out there. Ship fast and very reasonable. 280zx is about as early as you can go with them though.

image.png

Edited by zKars

That test sheet is impressive.  

The mounting flange looks thick.  Not a bad thing but I wonder if the bolts/screws are long enough.  Might just be the pictures.

image.png

I’ll install this Monday and let you guys know how it is.  I don’t think it’s made in the US but let’s hope that any company spending time to have a test sheet may actually care about quality,   

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I got the starter installed, 20 min job, and yes Zed I needed a longer bolt. Had them in my stash (45mm M10x1.50). What a night and day difference between this starter and that garbage AC Delco reman. Sounds totally different and I can tell is spinning faster also. Sounds like a modern starter. The AC Delco had a annoying whine and everyone always asked me if that was normal.
e3e0d0b21b80583fadfa3613dd063fe6.jpg
0e8e82523fe8cfd6b938e1720409cb31.jpg

• Like 4

58 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

I got the starter installed, 20 min job, and yes Zed I needed a longer bolt. Had them in my stash (45mm M10x1.50). What a night and day difference between this starter and that garbage AC Delco reman. Sounds totally different and I can tell is spinning faster also. Sounds like a modern starter. The AC Delco had a annoying whine and everyone always asked me if that was normal.

I thought your car was silver?  You have more than one?

So it looks like a pretty good option.  For a premium of $20.99 (in my case), 18%, a person gets the peace of mind of a brand new starter.

WAI shipped to my place from Rockauto would cost $135.98.  $11.99 Fedex ground.

Driving to O'Reilly Auto for their only option, remanufactured, would cost $114.99.

My hobbay was making the old stuff work but if I wanted dependability I'd go with the WAI, I think.  Probably their alternator also.