IGNORED

Best Starter Motors replacement

Almost got stranded yesterday with a starter failure. Was able to bang on it with a hammer and get another start of of it. I’d just get one “click” when I turned the key. This is a remanufactured (AC Delco -premium) gear reduction starter. I love when they put crap like “premium” in the description….lies lies lies!

I bought it on Rock Auto 27 months ago and as expected the warranty expired 3 months ago. With a little I drove this car it might have 100 -200 starts on it. This is the world we live in where stuff appears to break right after the warranty period as if they know this when the rebuild.

My Toyota (OEM Denso) starter on my 08’ 4Runner is the original one and is 16 years old and have I bet it has 5000 starts on it. Are these days over where they make good stuff?

Looking to replace it

Anyone have know where the best place to get a replacement that isn’t made in. Chinese sweat shop. Who is a reputable reman company?

An AC Delco should be the go to premium replacement starter, I guess not.  There are still little one man shops that rebuild starter/alternators although they are getting harder to find.  The the bulk of their work comes from transport semi trucks, might be worth checking out the transport trucks shops in your area.

• Like 1

I just spoke to a company that rebuild my Hitachi Alternator and they also do starters and he said AC Delco is junk now because they don’t build anymore all their stuff is farmed out to the lowest bidder. The American way! He wants $150 to rebuild it

I called the guy from the dbelectrical link and he said yes they’re new based on the hitachi specs and design.  1 yr warranty 

might be a good option but will keep looking and see what else. is out there.  

I don’t believe it personally. Go with what you got. IMO

I have a hitachi off a ZX and compared the two when I got the Chinese knock off. Just the wight difference alone is quite different 

Edited by Yarb
Add

6 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

I just spoke to a company that rebuild my Hitachi Alternator and they also do starters and he said AC Delco is junk now because they don’t build anymore all their stuff is farmed out to the lowest bidder. The American way! He wants $150 to rebuild it

That's a fair price, the rebuild kit alone  is probably $60-70.00

On 2/14/2024 at 11:05 AM, zKars said:

Nice - had no idea these existed.  

@Av8ferg  I know you said you are looking to replace it, but the clicking... and banging on it with a starter... could just be the solenoid.  Finding one at a suitable price and the work to replace it may be more than you want to take on - I understand.  Having rebuilt my own starter not long ago, I realize that there is a certain amount of work that goes into rebuilding them, and assuming that was done... it might be a waste to chuck it without cracking it open to have a look.  Or... it might be wise to just move on.  It is nice to know that these new options exist.  

6 hours ago, inline6 said:

Nice - had no idea these existed.  

@Av8ferg  I know you said you are looking to replace it, but the clicking... and banging on it with a starter... could just be the solenoid.  Finding one at a suitable price and the work to replace it may be more than you want to take on - I understand.  Having rebuilt my own starter not long ago, I realize that there is a certain amount of work that goes into rebuilding them, and assuming that was done... it might be a waste to chuck it without cracking it open to have a look.  Or... it might be wise to just move on.  It is nice to know that these new options exist.  

Well, that’s an idea but I think the AC Delco was probably not great to start with and here’s why.  This started made a strange noise.  Starters for cars have unique sounds.  I can tell the difference when someone starts a Honda vs a Chevy.  People always said the my Z sounded weird when cranking, made a odd winding noise.   I might have a video capturing in. 
As far as the new ones, well he said they were new but I didn’t ask from where.  

• 1 month later...

Finally got back in touch with the company that rebuilds starters in Memphis, the guy has been doing it for years., very informed on this topics Told me yesterday not to bother rebuilding it and he probably can’t get the parts to do it anymore. It’s cost prohibitive he said. His position was to buy one online and unfortunately more are going to be sourced from Chinese production. It’s basic economics, low demand = low profit margin which means vendor need to find the cheapest option available. So now to find the best aftermarket one I can.