IGNORED

Stereo tape in 280z (Clarion Radio Connector)

MH77280Z

Guys, i am planning to throw away this Ken wood stereo tape. Probably will install a more latest model. Just want to make sure it is not factory cassette player? the way it was hooked up is definitely aftermarket but just wanted to check before i discard.

IMG_9052.jpg

IMG_9053.jpg

Edited by MH77280Z

Hitachi was the brand of the original radio in the USA, In europe we had Clarion. They only had AM in Europe.

That was original for the 240z. My 280zx first edition has a mono Clarion and a stereo Hitachi cassette!  It has 1 single speaker on top of the dash for the mono radio and two speakers in the back sides!  So you could play them at the same time as they were completely separate units! Funny but original!

• Like 2

10 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

Is this the right 280z radio?

Hihi.. Your gonna be surprised.. The answer is sadly.. no.. 

I believe that it would have had the Hitachi radio.. but that Hitachi radio looks a lot like yours so you are close ( enough.. if i would have to choose!)  

But then you could think, hey.. what radio had the 280z in Europe and the answer is: we didn't ... didn't have the 280z!  It was a car special for the USA! We had the 260z till the 280zx came in 1979. So that's why it is possible that you see 260z from 1974-1978 overhere!  And yes they had Clarion radios ..  (And i think but don't know for sure that by that time they also had FM besides AM.)  So they would have looked a lot like yours!

14 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

I bought this from a guy in CA pretty cheap $25. Is this the right 280z radio?

IMG_9066.jpeg

IMG_9065.jpeg

IMG_9064.jpeg

I don't believe that is a 280z radio. I believe its for a 240z.

Btw if it works, its quite valuable!

It even has value if it doesn't work.  Look on Ebay to see what I mean

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Wow 1

21 hours ago, Patcon said:

I believe its for a 240z.

I'm confused now.. I was always told that in a 240z there was a Hitachi..  The people that told me that were always from the USA.. Then i always said: We overhere in the Netherlands (EU) have had always the Clarion brand,  So there were also Clarions in old datsuns in the USA?  That's a first! 👍

• MH77280Z changed the title to Stereo tape in 280z (Clarion Radio Connector)