IGNORED

Window glass alignment in the channel

MH77280Z

Hi Guys,

I took out everything to clean. Have installed the passenger side correctly no issues with alignment.

On the driver side when i roll up the glass it comes out of the channel on the outside. Anyone has any idea how to handle this situation?

Is there a problem with installing the glass below in the regulator or the top door channel itself? any thought?

Edited by MH77280Z

Yes, the 77-78 glass sit in a metal base which has holes which need to be aligned with the glass. So it is sitting correctly on it and 4 rollers fit at a specific place as well. I was able to mount the base to the shaft in the door as well.

But yes to your question.

I am thinking of the single roller that snaps over the weld flange at the top of the door on the outside edge of the window slot. It helps keep the glass from tipping out

like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiL5dOcwIqCAxW7IUQIHe0tDTUQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fzcardepot.com%2Fproducts%2Fwindow-glass-roller-bumper-guide-240z-260z-280z&usg=AOvVaw26J0DVuFr-nNenUUkUe5NR&opi=89978449

• Like 2

@Patcon I just happened to pull the door skin to start doing some work in there and like many others found my roller in the bottom of the door.  Question, other than rattle, would this also help keep the glass "straight" as it rolled up?  Mine rolls up and down nicely but what happens is the glass kind of tilts toward the front of the car as it comes up and when fully rolled up the top back corner of the glass no longer is fully "sealed" in the sash.  you can see a small air gap there.  If I guide the window up with my hand as i crank it will sit properly.

or do you think i have another issue in the regulator or channels internally?  when i get the new one is it simply pry up and then press back down in place?

On 10/22/2023 at 1:33 PM, Patcon said:

I am thinking of the single roller that snaps over the weld flange at the top of the door on the outside edge of the window slot. It helps keep the glass from tipping out

like this:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiL5dOcwIqCAxW7IUQIHe0tDTUQFnoECA4QAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fzcardepot.com%2Fproducts%2Fwindow-glass-roller-bumper-guide-240z-260z-280z&usg=AOvVaw26J0DVuFr-nNenUUkUe5NR&opi=89978449

77-78 dont have these roller.

6 hours ago, MH77280Z said:

77-78 dont have these roller.

Then I don't know right off hand. There must be an adjustment somewhere

7 hours ago, Richie G said:

@Patcon I just happened to pull the door skin to start doing some work in there and like many others found my roller in the bottom of the door.  Question, other than rattle, would this also help keep the glass "straight" as it rolled up?  Mine rolls up and down nicely but what happens is the glass kind of tilts toward the front of the car as it comes up and when fully rolled up the top back corner of the glass no longer is fully "sealed" in the sash.  you can see a small air gap there.  If I guide the window up with my hand as i crank it will sit properly.

or do you think i have another issue in the regulator or channels internally?  when i get the new one is it simply pry up and then press back down in place?

The single roller just really keeps the glass from tipping out. If it doesn't come up level then the roller guides need to be adjusted to change the tilt of the glass as it rises. The trick is getting it adjusted but not binding

I have loosen the bolts and moved around the channel guide and it probably is working. One of the bolts doesnt align but window glides up. May be i need to keep fiddling as there is definitely nothing broken and I did not added anything extra.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

One thing i didn't ask now that i have it back together.  Any recommendations on how to "polish' out the tiny scratches in the window?  I also have this streak you can see here which is probably from the original roller that used to be installed in the front position.  I'm guessing it was too tight and that's from the rubber pressing against the glass.  I've tried some non abrasive glass cleaner but nothing i seem to do will get that streak out.

image.png