IGNORED

Radio Faceplate Restoration Guide

ckurtz2

@grannyknot the clear would be to protect the chrome, not the SEM. SEM stuff is a beast when it comes to durability.

Yes I noticed that too when looking up 77 280z radio faceplates. But that is the faceplate and radio my car came with. My car was made in very early 77 with the sloped rear deck if that maybe changes things.

Looked at radio and started looking at all the odd wiring. Can indeed now confirm this radio is to a 260z or early 280z. The PO cut off the wires from the 260z  radio connector and spliced it to the late 280z connector. Matches the wiring diagrams for wiring colors, go figure and good catch @grannyknot

4 hours ago, ckurtz2 said:

Here is my attempt at restoring the radio faceplate on my 1977 datsun 280z. I used this same process for the climate control bezel. Not perfect, but better than before.

Items Needed:

SEM 39863: Plastic Adhesion Promoter

SEM 38353: Plastic Prep

SEM 15013: Landau Black- Color Coat

3M Scuff Pad

Chrome Paint Marker https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B212M89Z?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

you can probably use any marker of this type, this one was just cheap and worked pretty well.

Starting Peice. Chrome had faded, been scuffed off in areas. The sun had also caused fading in the black plastic and blotching as well.

image.jpeg

To Start I first washed the peice in the sink with dawn and scrubbed it. I then went at it with the 3M scuff pad and removed all the chrome, as well as roughed up the surface in preparation for SEM. I then washed it again.

image.jpeg

Next, I hung it outside and used the SEM plastic prep to clean it, and wiped it down again. After that just follow the directions for the SEM adhesion promoter, then I did about 3 coats of the Landau black with about 6mn in between each. Came out smooth and consistent.

image.jpeg

I then waiting a day for it to dry and came back at it with the chrome marker. Just spend your time going over the lines and it will turn out decent. The ink comes out a little fast though, so be careful to not hold it in one place too long. 

image.jpeg

FInished Result

image.jpegimage.jpeg

image.jpeg

I didn't clear coat the whole thing as it didn't occur to me until now. Would be nice to hopefully make the chrome paint a bit more durable for when you detail the car.  Unfortunately the color coat is long past it's dry time so I am not sure if clear coat is an option now. If anyone has experience on this let me know. 

Impressive results..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ckurtz2 said:

Looked at radio and started looking at all the odd wiring. Can indeed now confirm this radio is to a 260z or early 280z. The PO cut off the wires from the 260z  radio connector and spliced it to the late 280z connector. Matches the wiring diagrams for wiring colors, go figure and good catch @grannyknot

Doh! Sorry, I'm looking at that faceplate and it clearly says tune but I'm thinking it is the antenna toggle switch from the earliest faceplates for the series 1.

• Agree 4

21 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Doh! Sorry, I'm looking at that faceplate and it clearly says tune but I'm thinking it is the antenna toggle switch from the earliest faceplates for the series 1.

That hole above the word tune is the antenna up and down toggle on my early '72. From what I've seen the really early radios had the antenna up and down vertical.

What threw me was where was the pre-set buttons slot. LOL

1494106912563.thumb.jpg.92d4faf456a8aa9ce5dff997920b3905.jpg

• Like 3

[mention=25243]grannyknot[/mention]it is tempting.... My radio works perfect. I am honestly torn as wether to keep the original or go with something like this. 
https://www.retrosoundusa.com.au/index.php?l=product_detail&p=2530
Judging by some of the shotty wiring you are probably right. Weird thing to change though.

Now that’s really moved on from when I last considered it about 10 years ago!! Looks the business and probably sounds great. I would be tempted to get that and keep your appreciating asset of a stock item !

Being a geek I manually replaced the electronics inside mine and added a dish sized flat sub under the passenger seat to overcome the effects of the exhaust - as I kept the stock sized (modern) speakers and the minimal bass was totally lost with the engine running.

In Phase Car Audio USW10 300W 10" Underseat Ultra Slim Compact Active Subwoofer System, Die-Cast Aluminium , Black https://amzn.eu/d/41hVB3V

Oh and to avoid drilling the floor I used industrial strength Velcro :p
81a4002b45963976f8fd93a6c61f4930.jpg

But truthfully I barely ever use the radio. The engine note is just too glorious. But equally, I don’t really drive it for very long on motorways, where I imagine it comes into its own.