IGNORED

Marker Light Orientation

z3beemer

I'm trying to find the proper orientation of the marker lights on 73 Z.  As you know they are thicker on one end and thinner on the other.  I've look at numerous phots of z's and it seems to vary.  Anyone know the correct orientation?  Does the wider part go towards the front of the car of the back or the back?  Are the front ones orientated differently than the rear?  Thanks for your help.  Didn't find an answer in the other postings,

Correct.  The wider part of the marker lens will face the front and rear of the vehicle respectively to compensate for the tapering body line. 

My understanding is DOT requirements is to have the lenses be as flat as possible when you are looking at the vehicle sideways. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zed Head said:

Does anybody have a better name for #5 than "Limb"?  Can't think of one at the moment but theirs doesn't seem right.

One of those amusing "lost in translation" situations.  Perhaps one of our Japanese speaking forum members with a copy of the Japanese Parts Manual could fill us in on other possible translations of the bezel part name.

Decades ago I bought a small tent that was made in Japan and the instruction manual for setting it up was entitled "Erection Instructions".

Edited by psdenno
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Does anybody have a better name for #5 than "Limb"?  Can't think of one at the moment but theirs doesn't seem right.

56 minutes ago, jonbill said:

Bezel maybe?

Yes.

Or garnish, or trim.

Edited by Racer X

3 hours ago, z3beemer said:

I'm trying to find the proper orientation of the marker lights on 73 Z.  As you know they are thicker on one end and thinner on the other.  I've look at numerous phots of z's and it seems to vary.  Anyone know the correct orientation?  Does the wider part go towards the front of the car of the back or the back?  Are the front ones orientated differently than the rear?  Thanks for your help.  Didn't find an answer in the other postings,

An easy way to sort it out is to look at the profile of the car, and the light assemblies, from above. Notice that the car is narrower at the front and back, wider at the middle. Also notice that the lights are thicker at one end, thinner at the other. Placement of the lights should result in the outer surfaces of the lenses should be parallel from right to left, relatively congruent to a flat vertical plane running the length of the car.

The forward ends of the front markers will be narrower vertically and thicker side to side at the forward ends, wider vertically and thinner side to side at the trailing ends, and the reverse will be the case for the rear markers.

Just like the FSM page Zed posted.

5 hours ago, grannyknot said:

Racers reversed the maker lamps to lower the drag coefficient, worth another 0.1 seconds per lap.🙄

That's one hell of a big marker lamp if it's work 0.1 sec per lap.  🙂  Maybe 0.001 sec per lap.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1
  • Haha 1