IGNORED

Heater valve

Patcon

So I am messing around with heater boxes right now and I was pressure testing two heater valves I had. I cobbled together some hoses to attach my coolant tester to. One valve did ok, although it leaks slightly around the push rod when it's being actuated. The other leaks badly as the junction of the brass body to the steel bracketry. So in the best Captain Obvious manner, I decided to take it apart!

20230513_180944_resized.jpg

20230513_180947_resized.jpg

Folded the ears back

20230513_181200_resized.jpg

and removed the bracketry

20230513_181246_resized.jpg

The internals just pull out after that

20230513_181536_resized.jpg

20230513_181554_resized.jpg

There is a square O ring seal between the hard plastic end and an inner washer. I think if it were replaced the valve would seal up. I've started looking for suitable O rings without having to buy a 100qty.

Bead blasted the valve body just for fun

20230513_181526_resized.jpg

20230513_181528_resized.jpg

• Like 3

Once upon a time (fifteen years ago), there was a generic rebuild kit available from NAPA that provided the necessary seals.  When I checked circa 2015, it was NLA.

Napa part #660-1000

Good hunting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Namerow said:

Here's the article that referenced the NAPA kit.  Created by 'Palladin' and uploaded to the Zcar.com website many years ago.

280ZX Heater **** Rebuild (auto-****, pull type).pdf 481.96 kB · 0 downloads

That is for a 280ZX. The heater parts look a little different. I wonder if it's possible to rebuild the older style valve with the newer parts?

We'll know the answer to that question after you've located the NAPA kit.😄  

I suspect that the internals didn't change over the design history of that valve.  Base plate, levers, mounting holes, yes.  But cylinder, cap, plunger, rod and seal --- less likely.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Nice work! Always good to rebuild when possible. It's better to problem-solve & find a solution vs. just replace

If you have a selection of AC orings, for example, the thick wall variety would probably seal, since it's just the seat, not the sliding seal. I doubt that square cut is an imperative, if one cannot be readily sourced.  

Edited by HusseinHolland

7 hours ago, HusseinHolland said:

Nice work! Always good to rebuild when possible. It's better to problem-solve & find a solution vs. just replace

If you have a selection of AC orings, for example, the thick wall variety would probably seal, since it's just the seat, not the sliding seal. I doubt that square cut is an imperative, if one cannot be readily sourced.  

I looked through my O-ring assortments. I didn't find one that looked like a good candidate yet. I'm gonna keep looking locally

I'm with Hussein.  There's a lot of pleasure taken from bringing a worn part back to life.  I've repaired more switches, valves, contractors, etc. than I could ever count, and most have continued to operate for many years.  Having a 3D printer helps!

Nice work bead blasting.  Did you do it wet or dry?  It looks perfect.

I once found a place that would sell you one oring. Amazing! or so I thought, then they add the shipping.  Really? $15 to mail one oring?  Buy the bag of a 100.🙄  Think of the business you could start repairing heater valves.

Edited by ETI4K
  • Haha 1