IGNORED

Hoarding Z Parts

inline6

1 hour ago, kats said:

Hi, just a reminder of the difference between the two of interior trim panel. The Blue one is an early type which has a small box for the plastic tank. The black one is a later type which has a larger box for the metal tank. If you put a metal tank into an early car, the trim panel would not fit properly.

Kats

67EB1BFD-F920-4F9F-85A0-3454951432F1.jpeg

1D816EDE-461D-4A86-8781-292BEF935476.jpeg

These right hand rear quarter trim panel are used for all the S30 series no matter how the car equipped with the tank or not. March 1973, when Japanese automobile emissions regulations began to be serious, Fairlady Z series got the vapor tank associated with a gas tank(E4600) and HMB carburetors (for L24) but no air pump.

Kats

Edited by kats

A question for you ladies and gents - after my restorations, I kept the "windlace"  - not sure if thats the correct wording- the molding that went around the original door seals. I believe the new replacement seals include this part. Are these moldings still useful, worth anything or should I get rid of them? If you need better/more pics, let me know. There are 8 pieces - 4 per side.

thanks

810EBF52-A97D-48DE-B0AB-A193A5CA2B8A.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hank240 said:

A question for you ladies and gents - after my restorations, I kept the "windlace"  - not sure if thats the correct wording- the molding that went around the original door seals. I believe the new replacement seals include this part. Are these moldings still useful, worth anything or should I get rid of them? If you need better/more pics, let me know. There are 8 pieces - 4 per side.

thanks

810EBF52-A97D-48DE-B0AB-A193A5CA2B8A.jpeg

You are correct that in some of the replacement weather stripping this is included with the door weather strip as a one piece design. What you have would be useful if someone wanted to stay with original two part design. This material is generally referred to as welting. Here is a discussion with some more info.

Edited by CanTechZ

9 hours ago, kats said:

Hi, just a reminder of the difference between the two of interior trim panel. 

I have always looked at the speaker holes. There is a noticeable flat spot between the bump and holes on the early and no gap on the later. 

Screen Shot 2023-01-11 at 4.33.01 PM.png

• Like 2

13 hours ago, w3wilkes said:

I could swear I read that someone on these boards was looking for the welting?

It might be @Patcon, but I believe he is looking for the roof head liner welting. I just checked and the head liner welting is about 3mm (1/8") shorter than the door seal welting. Door seal welting is 14mm channel height and the head liner welting is 11mm channel height.

Edited by CanTechZ

On 1/11/2023 at 3:52 AM, HS30-H said:

The '46 6 23' date stamp translates to 23rd June 1971.

'46' = 46th year of Showa = 1971 (First year of Emperor Showa's reign was 1925).

'6' = Month of June.

'23' = 23rd day of the month.

Thanks for the information, Alan. 

By the month of manufacture stamped on the door tag, and the VIN number compared with others on the Zhome registry, I figured my car was completed in the back half of the month of June, 1971.  By the date stamp on my tank, I wonder if I can conclude that it was completed on that day.  Seems likely.   

Since that day in 1971, 51 years, 6 months and 8 days have passed.  Hopefully, in another 6 months, I'll have the restoration on this one completed.

Wish I could find a jack and wheel chocks with the correct date stamps.  And for that matter, an original spare tire with a date stamp that is before, but around that, the 26th week of 1971:

image.png

Edited by inline6
  • Like 1