IGNORED

Turbo vs Stroker? whats better?

lordbiotree

Originally posted by Mr Camouflage

Anyway who uses horses anymore, it's the 21st century, use Kilowatts.

Actually Craig, I've found that hanging around all my mates who drive Skylines and other such turbo/new tech cars talk in KW while all my older cousins and friends in the V8 circle talk in HP.

In 70-78 the z cars HP was listed in gross HP. That didn't take into consideration all belted on components.

Most cars were forced by law to start listed Net HP ratings by 74(?). NIssan was able to keep the gross rating longer for some reason.

The Net rating are on the ZX though and are true. So even though that 280zx N/A says 135 or 145 HP it is NET HP(not gross) and has more power than a 78 280z that has 170 gross HP.

Sorry to say but yes our 280z's stock have like a 120 HP realisticlly and its

0-60 times and quarter mile times stock actually reflect that.

So turbo or stroker? Either way your gonna get a big HP gain. That means whatever route you go your gonna feel the difference. HOw about turbo stroker:devious:

lordbiotree,

I think the stroker build ends up around the 10:1 compression mark and you would really want around 8:1 compresssion for a turbo setup, so you will need to lower the compression some how and all the rest that goes with turboing a NA car.

There are some posts here and probably HybridZ.org on turboing a NA car.

Measure an engine in KW? Why?

Engines in the States have always been in HORSEpower, since engines replaced horses for our buggies. It's a natural transition to think as horse replacement when considering engine power.

It's also much easier to visualize horse power that a thousand Joule-second equivalents and is more rooted in the real world and has more tradion behind it.

Both are "equivalents" so neither is particularly better. Only MORE is better!