IGNORED

Turbo vs Stroker? whats better?

lordbiotree

I'm looking into buying either a highly tuned stroker or Turbo (even twin turbo). Which one is capable of the most Horse Power?

I figure a stroker will produce more go power off the line rather than waiting for the turbo's to spool up. I'm leaning more towards a stroker and thoughts?

It'll be going into my old 71 parts car. She's ready to handle major power (new stronger solid rails). I've replaced the gas tank with one from a 78Z and ran bigger fuel lines. She'll see some track time when able to.

Thanx in advance for all your advice

-Brandon

Well, I would have to say that a Turbo will make more HP than an N/A stroker with all else being even. My guess is that there is a limit to compression(you soon become a diesel) but less limit on boost(0-30psi). Getting a lot of air and fuel through the engine in a given time will make the HP.

Now, if you add NO2, you can add even more fuel and get even more power <G> but that was not your question.

Best of luck.

Every time someone asks about a supercharger the response is about the old roots style blower that uses a single Holley carburator. Then say it's not worth doing. I would like to install a vortech style centrifigal supercharger, like on modern mustangs, on a 3.0 liter stroker motor with fuel injection. My boss has a 1997 BMW M3 with this set up. His car is making 450 dyno hp at the rear wheels, in a 3.0 liter straight six setup.

I have been searching for a while to see if anyone has done this setup with no luck. If anyone has any info or feedback on this idea it would be appriciated.

Well, I always assume that there is a reason WHY things are the way that they are. Since turbo's are plentiful and superchargers are not, there must be either a cost or mantenance or drivability reason why they are not around. They seem to be a better solution, but very few street cars use them.

I guess that if you wanna drag race a 1/4 mile, that's where those devices seem to be the prefered method. If you want to street it, Stroker or turbo seem to have the nod.

turbo most of the time is actaully cheaper than supercharging, thats why people turbo rather than supercharge,

and theres alot more range for turbo cars out there compared to supercharged cars

Superchargers... are belt drivin turbochargers, are more expensive and are much much easier to install, and spool up faster. They can provide up to 55% increase in power. That's why those massive drag cars, that hit like 255MPH in about 4 seconds, use Superchargers... no lag.

Turbochargers... are more efficient, as the exhuast gases spin the turbo to compress the air. They are cheaper, can provide 30-45% more power than your stock engine and are much more difficult to install.

I have a 3.0L stroker, so call me a little bias, but damn does it sound mean. Everyone keeps looking at my motor for 2 more cylinders. ROFL Beyond how you drive it, take care of it, who built it, ect. Does one engine have any better longevity over the other???

I love the sound and look of the triple webers, header, and 2 1/2" setup.

For my project it seems i am going to go turbo instead because of the Hp gains easily achievable.

I would change my mind if I could supercharge a carb N/A set up and get like 300

horses.

I am pretty sure that would be hard to do though and fuel injection is the best way.

If I gotta keep the FI then I will just go turbo.

thefastestz-

"I love the sound and look of the triple webers, header, and 2 1/2" setup"

-------------------------------

That's what I would like to have. So I take it I should go stroker with a home made type blower?

How well will a L-series engine take to a supercharger? Is there anything to watch out for?

Rebello racing told me it'll be around 5K. From what I've read they build great engines. Is there any where els that custom builds strokers?

Thanx,

-Brandon

I have never seen a supercharger put out more that about 7psi is that a supercharger's limit or is that just because they are usually on v8's that can't take more that 7psi?

Also I have seen several RB26DETT's engines (in GTR's) putting out 1300hp+, there is one a couple of blocks down from me that has 850hp (ish) that's what, 430% more hp (well I suppose there is other stuff done to it as well) but still it's not uncommon to see some turbo engines (with a bigger IC, turbo and engine management) with 14.7 even 21.7 psi so that should be 100% - 150% more hp?

Also if your racing it, it won't get low enouth that the turbo lag would matter would it?

what turbo engine are you thinking of?

and how much do you want to spend?

and do you have a target hp figure?