IGNORED

F4W71A trans. - fix it or ditch it?

astrohog

All good advice guys, thank-you!

I'm definitely keeping this car as original as possible, adding only period correct mods (BRE spoiler and spook), or things that can be returned to original easy enough.  I will keep the original transmission even if I decide to go 5 speed.  If I go 5 speed, I thought I would use a "competition style" shifter so I wouldn't have to cut the tunnel, but nobody here mentioned that.  Is it not a good option?.  

I have an L28 turbo sitting on a pallet that I would like to someday build and drop in, but I would keep and pickle the original motor if I did that.  My concern is not about keeping it as valuable as possible, but keeping it original and enjoying it as a reliable driver for little road trips and cars and coffee meets.  I've never been one that dreams of a concourse restoration that sits as a museum piece.  Cool, iconic cars are cool partly because of the driving experience, seems a waste to put on a shelf and ogle.

Since I will not be able to add fluid and drive it again before the "resto" is done, I think I will be trying to source another trans and/or open up this one and hope that whatever needs replaced is available. 

• Agree 1

I had the exact same symptoms and, based on advice from this group, tried the AC Delco synchromesh oil and it cleared up within just a few miles of driving. I was skeptical then amazed. Been driving it for two years now with no further issues. 
I also had a bad case of the monkey motion shifter. I took the pin out, ran a bolt through the hole (with the shifter removed) and put enough pressure to slightly squeeze the ears back together. It took a few repetitions squeezing and checking the fitment until I got it snug. Once I got it right I used the lock nut and bolt in place of the pin with some homemade plastic bushings. Probably have 9-10,000 miles on it with no issues with the oil or shifter.  

• Like 4

On 10/12/2022 at 12:38 AM, Terrapin Z said:

I have seen you mention this before. I can not find any data to support this info. Even Carl Becks site does not list this difference. My parts manuals don't show it either. 

Do you have some reference material you can point me to for the late 2+2ZX having the same as the late 280Z ratio's. 

I did find the early ZX had that same ratio and a short lived 80ZX had a similar "close" ratio to the the commonly sought after 81-83 (2+0 and 2+2) 

My first job after finishing school was at a Nissan dealer called RJ Corbett Nissan back in 1984. I worked in the transmission, clutch and brakes team. Mostly 160Y, 180B, Bluebirds, Skylines and 720 trucks.

We never had the 280Z, only the 260Z with the FS5C71B 5 speed. All the 280ZX 2+2 we worked on had the wide ratio 5 speed with 4 warner type synchros and, to us, an odd ball 5th synchro. The coupes had the close ratio.

There was a website about 10 years ago with some patchy information about it, but it's long gone.

If I come across a 2+2 and check underneath, they all have the speddo bolt up, dual ears and no reverse lock out.

I can't confirm it 100%, but all my experience points in that direction.

• Like 1

In the States the 280ZX changed ratios in 1980.  According to the FSM's.  1979 had the older wide ratio 5 speeds, 1980 had the new close ratio.  1980 also had the odd 0.773 overdrive (although I got one from a 1981 car, not sure how it got in there).  So a generic "280ZX" remark can be confusing.

If you want to see something wild check out all of the differential ratios and vehicle combos for 1979.  They kind of went nuts.  I've never seen a 3.7 long nose R200 but according to the book they were available.  Even the 3.364 R180 is out there, supposedly.  And, the 4 speed is still shown.

image.png

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

2 hours ago, EuroDat said:

My first job after finishing school was at a Nissan dealer called RJ Corbett Nissan back in 1984. I worked in the transmission, clutch and brakes team. Mostly 160Y, 180B, Bluebirds, Skylines and 720 trucks.

We never had the 280Z, only the 260Z with the FS5C71B 5 speed. All the 280ZX 2+2 we worked on had the wide ratio 5 speed with 4 warner type synchros and, to us, an odd ball 5th synchro. The coupes had the close ratio.

There was a website about 10 years ago with some patchy information about it, but it's long gone.

If I come across a 2+2 and check underneath, they all have the speddo bolt up, dual ears and no reverse lock out.

I can't confirm it 100%, but all my experience points in that direction.

Chas, thanks for the info on your findings. I knew through my research of the 6 o'clock speedo drive, and the single hanger. there is also an eye shaped plate on one side near the rear. I have bought two ZX 2+2 transmissions and both had these features. I have not opened them as yet so I can not confirm internals. The recent one had some bearing cage bits on the drain plug magnet so I am sure to open that one up. The other went straight into my car.  I also have two of the earlier 5sp's out of 280Z and see that they are like the one you described.  

I wonder if it is a Euro thing to have the wide in the 2+2?

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

In the States the 280ZX changed ratios in 1980.  According to the FSM's.  1979 had the older wide ratio 5 speeds, 1980 had the new close ratio.  1980 also had the odd 0.773 overdrive (although I got one from a 1981 car, not sure how it got in there).  So a generic "280ZX" remark can be confusing.

If you want to see something wild check out all of the differential ratios and vehicle combos for 1979.  They kind of went nuts.  I've never seen a 3.7 long nose R200 but according to the book they were available.  Even the 3.364 R180 is out there, supposedly.  And, the 4 speed is still shown.

I have this list. I had a better one but lost it and the page is no more. I should have saved a screen shot. 

Seems the 3:70 was short lived in the early ZX. I expect my car will have 3:90's R200 I'll find out when I get that far in. 

I am not saying this is 100% accurate, but my findings have not found any errors. I have the 810 Maxima 3:70 R180 in my car now. I have the Auto 3:54 too and 3:36 R180's

I picked some 720 truck front's (1) 3:90 and (2) 4:11's I have never found the 4:37 or 4:62 all R180

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 3.21.07 PM.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Zed Head said:

image.png

A lot of combinations shown on this list. The issue with it is the generalisation of the FS5W71B. We know there are three, a wide ratio, an early close ratio and the more common later close ratio versions. It also leaves out the 240mm flywheel in the 2+2.

Back then, we thought the 2+2 had the 240mm flywheel and the wide ratio 5 speed to compensate for the extra passengers and body work adding weight.