IGNORED

Mating engine to transmission

MM569457

Good morning,

I’ve been trying to mate my 5 speed transmission onto the engine. This should be pretty straightforward. 

I used the clutch alignment tool when lining up the clutch to the flywheel and removed it after tightening down the pressure plate. 

But the transmission still not go all the way in. The input shaft seems to get hung up. How can I rectify this? Any ideas would be appreciated.

15D846D7-C8DD-44D8-BB39-076E05B84676.jpeg

62A29538-DF32-43A3-BF0C-692CC3C068B1.jpeg

I've run into this problem in the past. The clutch alignment tool I used was a bit sloppy. and allowed the clutch disc to drop down a bit before I tightened it. Trans wouldn't go in that last little bit. I loosened the pressure plate just enough to be able to move the disc into the truly centered position, tightened it down and the trans slid right in.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

When you get the tranny square to the block 1 to 2 inches opening equally all around, thread a long head bolt through two of the holes for the 4 tranny bolt holes and thread into the block. Then you know that you are aligned and it will slide right in. I believe if I remember correctly, you only have room to thread 2 in. This will guide your tranny right in……I’ve personally never had problem with the clutch alignment tool…..it’s always been a frickin PITA to man handle the engine without making sure everything is lined up squarely. This assures that it is!

Edited by Diseazd
  • Like 1

The alignment tool hangs on the spigot bearing and can actually mis-alignment. Insert the tool again and check the pressure plate finger around the tool are equally speced. Pay special attention directly above and under the tool are equal.

If not equal, loosen the pressure plate and adjust accordingly.

I wouldn't force it in. You can gently pull it in using threaded bar, but be gentle. You can scrape a thin layer off the inner side of the spigot bearing. That can cause unbalance.

People have just eyeballed the disc over the spigot/pilot bushing to get it centered with good luck..  I'm pretty sure that you can get it centered also by eyeballing the edges of the disc on the flywheel.  Just make the edges even all the way around.

Sometimes, you can just wiggle the transmission around and/or lift it up and down a bit to get the shaft started.  The input shaft actually has some play in it so even though the transmission body might be aligned the shaft itself can be a bit low.

Your input shaft has a pretty big chamfer cut in to it so should actually be easy to start.  Put a small amount of grease on the tip it, it might help.

But, I've had a pilot bushing that was just wrong-sized.  It wouldn't fit in the crankshaft.  I had to break it in to pieces to get it back out after getting it halfway in.  So sizing errors are possible.  Might be worthwhile to spend a few bucks and get another of the same brand just to be sure it fits the input shaft.  Then maybe replace what's in there with the known quantity.

Edited by Zed Head
+ in

I installed a could long guide bolts with the heads cut off (and sloted for later removal) that I could slip the trans over taking the weight and guiding it in. Still a bit of a battle sometimes its a skirmish sometimes its a war but it will just all of a sudden pop in. 

I try to avg the slop in the install tool, as it tends to droop under the weight of the clutch disk. repeatedly check for easy insertion of the tool while tightening up the pressure plate and see if it seems centered (again the droop of a plastic tool and some clearance needed to make it work). 

make sure dowels are in good shape (maybe thats been covered). 

biggest advice is to NEVER use the bolts to pull it together.

Edited by Dave WM