IGNORED

Dead spot in steering, where to look?

My steering seems to wander in the center position. Where should I start looking to resolve this?

I replaced the struts and springs and toed the wheels in a little but the problem persists. 

With the car standing still, moving the steering wheel doesn't seem to show any slack in the under-hood couplings

Should I take it to a shop with an alignment rack and if so, would they even know what to set it at since it has a non-standard wheel size and lowering springs?

The rack has an adjustment that takes play out of the rack and pinion. You have to be careful though, overtightening can cause problems when off center because the middle section tends to wear more than the edges of lock.

6 hours ago, Patcon said:

adjustment that takes play out of the rack and pinion

I would never tinker around that ON the car, it can be very dangerous i think.. Only off the car and best to let someone with a lot experience do that.

Because it's possible something get broken as it get warmer and you lose steering..😮

I think a good wheel alignment shop can solve these problems, even if you have a different set of shocks/springs/wheels

(My shop did my car and it still tended to go a little bit to the right.. they said it's the tires that do this, the machines they used says it's straight as an arrow.. but we will see when i need new tires.  The solution was.. they said: just change left front with right front wheel and look if it's over or steering to the left..  still not done this.. it's so small and.... seems to get even smaller every time i drive it..)

Different tires, brands or sizes (with different threadpaterns) are illegal in our country on one and the same axel, but that's not your problem i assume?

If the rack is worn, there'd be excessive right and left motion of the steering wheel with no movement of the wheels.  You could compare the amount of movement of the steering wheel while the wheels are straight and also at the right and left locks for a clue as to the extent of wear.  If the play is similar at all three locations, the problem may well go to another component - tie rod ends, (or as @dutchzcarguymentioned) differential air pressure, different tire tread patterns, any of the three alignment variables, etc.

You mentioned you had a concern with a shop's possible non-understanding of how to properly align the car.  How do you know the last shop had a clue?

• Like 2

I guess maybe I need to start at getting an alignment. The tie rod ends and ball joints don't seem to have any play in them.

How does one find a "good" wheel alignment shop? Do I trust a shop like Goodyear or Firestone? There are not many independents around now.

I tried to adjust the toe in using two aluminum 2 x 4 plates with slot cut in them for a tape measure. Doesn't sound as precise as laser-based alignment methods.

Years ago I found a service place that catered to Porsche enthusiasts.  I needed a bolt-plate alignment (aot to the typical concentric cone style).  I think the cost differential was $25 vs $5 per wheel. 

Yeah, it was painful, but the car became a dream to drive afterwards.  Prior, it acted like the front end was going to explode above 50 mph.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, ETI4K said:

became a dream to drive afterwards.

Yeah, i had that with a 240z, after alignment it steared MUCH MUCH easier! 

Just go with a car that is mechanically sound because otherwise you throw away your money.  No alignment can be done to a car that has a lot of worn parts in the suspension and steering!

On 6/27/2022 at 9:49 AM, Jeff Berk said:

I guess maybe I need to start at getting an alignment. The tie rod ends and ball joints don't seem to have any play in them.

How does one find a "good" wheel alignment shop? Do I trust a shop like Goodyear or Firestone? There are not many independents around now.

I tried to adjust the toe in using two aluminum 2 x 4 plates with slot cut in them for a tape measure. Doesn't sound as precise as laser-based alignment methods.

A lot of good info in this thread...

More...

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

I have adjusted several r&p racks over the years. You do have to be careful of overtightening. A slow speed test drive will tell you if it's too tight. It is also true center rack slop is normally visible under the hood. The wheel and steering shaft move but the rack ends don't...

On 6/29/2022 at 3:13 AM, Patcon said:

center rack slop is normally visible under the hood. The wheel and steering shaft move but the rack ends don't...

So i think that you should test it in the middle and at the ends, if there is no movement on the ends there is no need to make it tighter, if you have slop also at the ends it means there is room for readjustment. (because there is always more slop in the middle due to use.)

Never had to do this myself..  

I always tell people NEVER EVER turn the wheels when they are not rolling!!!  It distroys the steering rack, ALWAYS turn the steeringwheel when the car is rolling, i think that's very important!  (This even is more important with wide tires!)

( I often see people that ... don't understand anything of friction ...  drive of backwards of my driveway, turn the wheels while standing still :finger: AAARRGGHHH!!!   and drive off....   grrr...  99% of those people don't understand anything of the way things work..  🙈 )

Edited by dutchzcarguy
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2022 at 1:38 AM, dutchzcarguy said:

So i think that you should test it in the middle and at the ends, if there is no movement on the ends there is no need to make it tighter, if you have slop also at the ends it means there is room for readjustment. (because there is always more slop in the middle due to use.)

Never had to do this myself..  

I always tell people NEVER EVER turn the wheels when they are not rolling!!!  It distroys the steering rack, ALWAYS turn the steeringwheel when the car is rolling, i think that's very important!  (This even is more important with wide tires!)

( I often see people that ... don't understand anything of friction ...  drive of backwards of my driveway, turn the wheels while standing still :finger: AAARRGGHHH!!!   and drive off....   grrr...  99% of those people don't understand anything of the way things work..  🙈 )

🤔