IGNORED

280 floor pans

19 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

the right sife of my car has a frame hat chanbel section in addition to the 4 inch wide floor pan stifener. Drivers side does not have the tall frame section, what gives?

Most likely explanation might be that it has been in an accident in the past.  Maybe hit a log while it was on the beach collecting salt.

image.png

• Haha 1

Friend that information came from a very reputable source. Those are latch points for a mechanism. Please don’t ask questions and then question the response when you receive one. I guess you will pick and choose what you care to believe. Good luck with your project.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Yarb said:

The tabs are factory . Those were used to tie the car down in transport.

9 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Friend that information came from a very reputable source. Those are latch points for a mechanism.

That is interesting.  I've not heard that myself.  Can you describe the source?  No offense, but without it, it's just two opinions.  We're all just people with Z's on the internet.

p.s.  I've read that the loops on the front and back are for tiedowns.  But I haven't read that about those metal pieces on the body stiffeners.

Edited by Zed Head

I’ve learned alot about frame rails from john @bad dog parts.com. Together He and I designed the driver side frame rail template for the 75-78 280. I created multiple templates and with his help through the Covid era He designed one that fit. I test fitted it on a 1975 and my 1978. He explained at the time that those indeed were lock down points when the cars were on the ship. He has a vast knowledge of these cars and has my respect. Knowledge base on these cars goes a long way with me. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the response.  But, Bad Dog is really just like us.  I don't think that he has inside knowledge.  Many people look at things like that and decide "what else could it be?" and let their imaginations create something.  ennisdavis actually had a good point about the robustness of the piece.  Plus the piece is not designed properly for a downward load.  It would probably bend more easily than the tiedown loops on the front and back.

I look at it and think that it might be for fixturing during manufacturing.  But I don't know, it's just seems like a reasonable guess.

Anyway, if somebody has another source that would be cool.  Maybe Honsowetz or Monroe or Humble mention it one of their books.  Maybe @katsknows, although it looks like they only showed up on 280Z's.

Here's the part being discussed.

image.png

And on a more whole car.

image.png

22 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

Look at these. They are alot taller, tie into front frame rails, and go full length

Used-1977-Datsun-280Z-Classic-Coupe-1453837206.jpg

Oh, okay, there's the reason for the floor / frame rail difference on the passenger side - to create a channel to better protect the hard lines. (The car I have in the shop is completely stripped - just wheels...) The Bad Dog rails fit perfectly over them though - with reliefs in all the right places for the contour of the floor(s).

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Thanks for the response.  But, Bad Dog is really just like us.  I don't think that he has inside knowledge.  Many people look at things like that and decide "what else could it be?" and let their imaginations create something.  ennisdavis actually had a good point about the robustness of the piece.  Plus the piece is not designed properly for a downward load.  It would probably bend more easily than the tiedown loops on the front and back.

I look at it and think that it might be for fixturing during manufacturing.  But I don't know, it's just seems like a reasonable guess.

Anyway, if somebody has another source that would be cool.  Maybe Honsowetz or Monroe or Humble mention it one of their books.  Maybe @katsknows, although it looks like they only showed up on 280Z's.

Here's the part being discussed.

image.png

And on a more whole car.

image.png

Hi Zed Head , I have zero knowledge about 260Z and 280Z , I didn’t know the floor pan is so much different from my 240Z . Interesting! 
Kats