Jump to content

IGNORED

280 floor pans


Recommended Posts


Nope. Just went through this myself. The late (77-78) 280Z passenger side is nowhere near flat, the seat mounts aren't either, neither is the frame rail. The pan that S30Driver shows above looks more correct to me. In my case the 280 I'm working on was only rusted forward of the seat mounts. The replacement I was supplied is the same as the one the OP posted. I cut the front portion off and still had to do a lot of shaping to make it fit the hole. It's a much heavier gauge metal than stock so not a lot of fun. The owner also bought bad dog rails which fit nicely over the stock rails - I just had to do a little fab for the frame rail under the replacement section. If I had that green piece of metal shown above, it would have been much easier...

If you need to replace the entire passenger floor, and you use what you have, you'll be fabbing seat mounts and frame rails. The passenger side frame rail isn't flat nor is it symmetrical - one side is longer (well, deeper) than the other. Seat mounts are shaped to fit the non-flat floor as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First pic is my floorpan on the ground, hat channel on right is original. Tall with factory primer. Thin hat channel to left which would be next to the rocker. Both my car and the one in the picture have the tab welded across the channel. My car is original, before bad dog existed. I have seen so many variations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The tabs are factory . Those were used to tie the car down in transport. Your car is a late 77/78 model from what I can tell. The channel is deeper on the passenger side by design. They look like the rails are factory. Bad dogs rails don’t have the tabs. I cut mine off for the install.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

the right sife of my car has a frame hat chanbel section in addition to the 4 inch wide floor pan stifener. Drivers side does not have the tall frame section, what gives?

Most likely explanation might be that it has been in an accident in the past.  Maybe hit a log while it was on the beach collecting salt.

image.png

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friend that information came from a very reputable source. Those are latch points for a mechanism. Please don’t ask questions and then question the response when you receive one. I guess you will pick and choose what you care to believe. Good luck with your project.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Yarb said:

The tabs are factory . Those were used to tie the car down in transport.

 

9 minutes ago, Yarb said:

Friend that information came from a very reputable source. Those are latch points for a mechanism.

That is interesting.  I've not heard that myself.  Can you describe the source?  No offense, but without it, it's just two opinions.  We're all just people with Z's on the internet.

p.s.  I've read that the loops on the front and back are for tiedowns.  But I haven't read that about those metal pieces on the body stiffeners.

Edited by Zed Head
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’ve learned alot about frame rails from john @bad dog parts.com. Together He and I designed the driver side frame rail template for the 75-78 280. I created multiple templates and with his help through the Covid era He designed one that fit. I test fitted it on a 1975 and my 1978. He explained at the time that those indeed were lock down points when the cars were on the ship. He has a vast knowledge of these cars and has my respect. Knowledge base on these cars goes a long way with me. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks for the response.  But, Bad Dog is really just like us.  I don't think that he has inside knowledge.  Many people look at things like that and decide "what else could it be?" and let their imaginations create something.  ennisdavis actually had a good point about the robustness of the piece.  Plus the piece is not designed properly for a downward load.  It would probably bend more easily than the tiedown loops on the front and back.

I look at it and think that it might be for fixturing during manufacturing.  But I don't know, it's just seems like a reasonable guess.

Anyway, if somebody has another source that would be cool.  Maybe Honsowetz or Monroe or Humble mention it one of their books.  Maybe @katsknows, although it looks like they only showed up on 280Z's.

Here's the part being discussed.

image.png

And on a more whole car.

image.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

Look at these. They are alot taller, tie into front frame rails, and go full length

Used-1977-Datsun-280Z-Classic-Coupe-1453837206.jpg

Oh, okay, there's the reason for the floor / frame rail difference on the passenger side - to create a channel to better protect the hard lines. (The car I have in the shop is completely stripped - just wheels...) The Bad Dog rails fit perfectly over them though - with reliefs in all the right places for the contour of the floor(s).

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Thanks for the response.  But, Bad Dog is really just like us.  I don't think that he has inside knowledge.  Many people look at things like that and decide "what else could it be?" and let their imaginations create something.  ennisdavis actually had a good point about the robustness of the piece.  Plus the piece is not designed properly for a downward load.  It would probably bend more easily than the tiedown loops on the front and back.

I look at it and think that it might be for fixturing during manufacturing.  But I don't know, it's just seems like a reasonable guess.

Anyway, if somebody has another source that would be cool.  Maybe Honsowetz or Monroe or Humble mention it one of their books.  Maybe @katsknows, although it looks like they only showed up on 280Z's.

Here's the part being discussed.

image.png

And on a more whole car.

image.png

Hi Zed Head , I have zero knowledge about 260Z and 280Z , I didn’t know the floor pan is so much different from my 240Z . Interesting! 
Kats

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and Guidelines. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.