IGNORED

Wheels and Tires

Can someone give me an idea where to start with this? DO i pick out the tires first or wheels? based on what i have read in other posts here a good wheel/tire 

is 205/50R15? Would a bolt pattern 4x100 be the proper one for a 71 240z? I see some that are 110 or 114....not sure about that

Edited by Wally

The correct bolt pattern is ...  4 x 114.3

I would give 16 x 7" wheels serious consideration, tire selection is much better than 15"   Most people choose the wheels first, then look at tires.  A great tire size on 16" wheels is  205 x 55 x 16.   Very close to OEM diameter and no rubbing.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Wally said:

Can someone give me an idea where to start with this? DO i pick out the tires first or wheels? based on what i have read in other posts here a good wheel/tire 

is 205/50R15? Would a bolt pattern 4x100 be the proper one for a 71 240z? I see some that are 110 or 114....not sure about that

What's your goal? Most people pick wheels first, such as Konig Rewinds at 16x7, 4x114.3, zero offset.

• Like 1

I have 16" on my 280 but 15s on my 240. The 16s on the 240 remind me of a favorite toy I had as a kid, Stompers. 

06bbf95d530e008041602134e6d6ee4c.jpg

I've got some good pictures of the 16s on a 240 I had but sold. They're on my laptop though and I only get it out to pay bills. So in the next couple of days I will post some photos and let you see what I saw.

9 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I have 16" on my 280 but 15s on my 240. The 16s on the 240 remind me of a favorite toy I had as a kid, Stompers. 

06bbf95d530e008041602134e6d6ee4c.jpg

I've got some good pictures of the 16s on a 240 I had but sold. They're on my laptop though and I only get it out to pay bills. So in the next couple of days I will post some photos and let you see what I saw.

C'mon Cliff, everybody knows that you don't put rubber tires on front and foam tires on the back of a Stomper!  🤣  I had the same '81 Toyota Pickup Stomper, but mine was red.

• Haha 1

Late thought edit:

To keep from whizzing off all my buddies that run 16s on 240s I could have gotten a smaller side wall tire. I'll include the sizes when I get back.

I really like the 15s with Hankook 205/55-15 (I think LOL) on my 240 though. Shameless show off...

20150130_152500.jpg

Those are 14s on the slots back there on that red one BTW.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Jeff G 78 said:

C'mon Cliff, everybody knows that you don't put rubber tires on front and foam tires on the back of a Stomper!  🤣  I had the same '81 Toyota Pickup Stomper, but mine was red.

Damn you're good! I never had rubber tires, they were all foam if I remember right.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Damn you're good! I never had rubber tires, they were all foam if I remember right.

My Stompers all came with foam and rubber. I think I ran rubber on most of them. 

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SteveJ said:

What's your goal? Most people pick wheels first, such as Konig Rewinds at 16x7, 4x114.3, zero offset.

I like the King Rewinds. As for 15 or 16.....i will consider 16s but just seemed like too much for my taste. just imo the 15 looked better

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wally said:

I like the King Rewinds. As for 15 or 16.....i will consider 16s but just seemed like too much for my taste. just imo the 15 looked better

I have the 15" Konigs on my '71 Z with the tire size you mentioned earlier.  They fill the wheel wells nicely with no rub.  Steering effort at low, or no, speed is more difficult than with the original 14s and narrower tires.  For me, it was a good upgrade.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Wally said:

The benefit of the 16s is that you have a better tire selection.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, psdenno said:

I have the 15" Konigs on my '71 Z with the tire size you mentioned earlier.  They fill the wheel wells nicely with no rub.  Steering effort at low, or no, speed is more difficult than with the original 14s and narrower tires.  For me, it was a good upgrade.

By saying speed is more difficult you mean acceleration? I am only planning to use it as a casual cruiser btw