IGNORED

Parts Z from craigslist

Reptoid Overlords

So I ended up getting this free ZX from Craigslist, expecting it to be a total pile, but actually it's not too bad.  It has less rust and body damage than my car did when I started out with it many years ago.  Too bad there's no title because it wouldn't bee too much to get it on the road.  I have enough sitting in my garage to do it.

The trunk does this wild thing where it stays open with these shock absorber looking things instead of a broomstick or a pair of vice grips.  I'll have to research that a bit further.

No transmission.  Originally no engine but the guy ended up giving it to me after a bit of talking about Z cars. Great guy.

The engine looks to be suffering from a few poor color choices and more importantly, a missing rocker arm and a lose rocker arm that went off the rails.  Looks like they might have ran it that way because the cam has been eaten up a bit.  Too bad.

PartsZ7.jpg

PartsZ4.jpg

PartsZ8.jpg

PartsZ6.jpg

PartsZ1.jpg

PartsZ5.jpg

PartsZ2.jpg

PartsZ3.jpg

Edited by Reptoid Overlords
  • Like 2

• 8 months later...
On 2/16/2022 at 6:34 PM, Patcon said:

You could see if you could get a title through a title company

I had a similar thought.  Check to see what the process for getting a title is in your state.

Edited by Pilgrim
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

I've harvested the brake lines and steering gear for my running car. Also pulled the fuel tank and put it in a dry place for possible future use.

As parts get used the prospect of titling get further away.

You can always apply for a lost title. Pretty easy process, and given the age of the car it likely won’t show up during the title search. 

Edited by Racer X

1 hour ago, Racer X said:

You can always apply for a list title. Pretty easy process, and given the age of the car it likely won’t show up during the title search. 

What is a list title? I've titled and licensed a couple of cars in Wa. and Or. What a pain in the arse. Is there a short cut?

• Haha 1

I almost bought a car with no title from a guy in Washington.  He wanted to meet me at the DMV where he would show various documents to apply for a "lost" title.  Maybe that's what RacerX meant.  

I declined though, (luckily, since it was a real turd and I found a much better car later) since with a lost title you need to have people attest to the fact that they know that the title was lost and that they can attest to the chain of ownership.  If it turns out later that it wasn't then there's a mess that you have to resolve.  Like if somebody dragged an old car from a field and sold it then the real owner showed up later.

Unfortunately Reptoid there is a real chance that you bought a car that was, in essence, stolen.  Probably not, but who knows.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

What is a list title? I've titled and licensed a couple of cars in Wa. and Or. What a pain in the arse. Is there a short cut?

Fat fingers/autocorrect.

Should be “lost”.

Sorry, eh?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

I almost bought a car with no title from a guy in Washington.  He wanted to meet me at the DMV where he would show various documents to apply for a "lost" title.  Maybe that's what RacerX meant.  

I declined though, (luckily, since it was a real turd and I found a much better car later) since with a lost title you need to have people attest to the fact that they know that the title was lost and that they can attest to the chain of ownership.  If it turns out later that it wasn't then there's a mess that you have to resolve.  Like if somebody dragged an old car from a field and sold it then the real owner showed up later.

Unfortunately Reptoid there is a real chance that you bought a car that was, in essence, stolen.  Probably not, but who knows.

So sort of, on all points.

My experience has simply been I have had vehicles that didn’t have titles, that I wanted a title for, or I had a vehicle without a title I wanted to scrap. The salvage yard wouldn’t take them without a title, or at least an affidavit of lost title.

For the former, an affidavit is filled out and submitted at a vehicle license agency. A search is conducted using the VIN, and if it turns up no liens or registration records, a new title is issued.

For the latter, an affidavit is filled out, and you call the sheriff. The sheriff comes by, inspects the vehicle, calls in the VIN (if it has one), and if it comes back clear, you get a document that allows the scrapyard to accept the car as scrap without concern about illegal activity.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Reptoid Overlords said:

As parts get used the prospect of titling get further away.

12 minutes ago, Racer X said:

The salvage yard wouldn’t take them without a title, or at least an affidavit of lost title.

As RacerX is pointing out you'll need to talk to DMV eventually unless you want to try to cut up the remaining metal and sell it directly to a scrap yard.  Your local DMV people will know.  Best to just call and talk directly to a real person.  

• Like 2