IGNORED

Hypothetical Power Increase

Randalla

I have a freshly built, SU carbureted, L-28 in my 72 240Z, with about 5,000 miles on the rebuild. The bottom end is a 280ZX block with stock dished (turbo) pistons. The head is an E-88 which has some port matching done, and the valves have been unshrouded. I'm running a stage II cam with total timing set at 34-36 degrees. I run a stock cast iron exhaust manifold connected to 2-1/2" pipes running through a glass pack type muffler. I ran a pair of "SB" profile needles in my SUs for a couple of dyno pulls to assess where I'm at. My goal was to build a very street-able engine, without having to worry about detonation. Of course, now I'm looking at potentially bumping power with some additional mods. The best current dyno run, at the wheels, produced 180.1 horsepower and 224.5 foot pounds of torque. My question is, "hypothetically," how would swapping out dished pistons for flat ones likely impact those numbers. The downside of course is that I may not be able to run as much total timing without detonation and potential risk to my engine. As an aside, I also have a nice triple Weber set up I'm toying with the idea of swapping on. I realize this exercise is pure speculation, but would be interested in any feedback. Thanks!          

IMG_7737.jpg

IMG_7738.jpg

D080BAA4-7E19-452E-812C-2A085AB68343.JPG

IMG_7575.jpg

Edited by Randalla
update

16 hours ago, Randalla said:

The bottom end is a 280ZX block with stock dished (turbo) pistons. The head is an E-88 which has some port matching done, and the valves have been unshrouded.

Calculate the compression ratio.  E88's came in several varieties as I understand things.  What size valves are in it?  You could probably come out ahead just by swapping to an N42 or N47 head, designed for dished pistons.  Higher CR and bigger valves.

Have you measured cylinder pressures?  That will tell you something about the CR.  Ideally, combustion chamber volume would have been measured when the port-matching and valve unshrouding was done.

Either way, if you did not install bigger valves, an N42 or N47 will be an immediate benefit, due to the higher flow.  2mm bigger intake valve and smaller combustion chambers.  Here's the 1974 260Z specs compared to 1976 280Z.  Even the text is cleaner and crisper.

image.png

image.png

Edited by Zed Head
  • Haha 1

No, I haven't measured cylinder pressures. I know compression numbers are different, but for what it's worth, compression when checked a month ago was:

#1- 160 psi        #2- 150 psi         #3- 150 psi       #4- 150 psi       #5- 150 psi       #6- 152 psi 

Edited by Randalla

Pressures can vary depending on the gauge and adapters that are used but those numbers are kind of low.  They're about right for a turbo engine.  I can't find much about the 260Z E88.  I've read about "smog" E88's that have lower CR's.  The 240Z E88's had pretty small combustion chambers.

Anyway, here's an article with some math and comments about what you could expect.

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/compression-ratio-means-more-power/

Also, the 260Z had a CR of 8.8:1, which is actually on the high end for Z engines.  But you have a larger displacement so even with flat-tops you'll end up lower than that. (edited)

image.png

Big picture - it runs well and makes good power, why mess with it for small gains?

Edited by Zed Head
  • Like 1

Thanks Zed Head for your thoughts and link to the excellent tutorial. I learned a few things I wasn't aware of. Pretty sure my E-88 came from a 49-state 240Z, so likely fairly small combustion chambers, if I'm following you correctly. Car does run exceptionally well, so small gain with high cost is not really on the table. I had the option of installing flat-top pistons when I installed the re-worked head. My desire to get the car back on the road trumped the piston swap. This post was spurred for the most part by curiosity over what my impatience may have cost me. I may still swap on my Webers, though, I've had my triples on one of my other 240's and, honestly, my experience has been well set-up SUs perform just as well on the street, with a lot less headaches. Thoughts?      

• Like 1