IGNORED

L28 front cover

ennisdavis

If you drop the oil pan down a little first it might come out without any damage 50/50 I would say. Some people use a dab of sealant up in the corner between the head gasket and the front cover and that might make it so you need to replace it

you can remove the front cover without removing head. as mentioned drop the front of the pan about 1/8 inch.

if you want to inspect the bottom of the tensioner then removing the front cover is best. 

Make sure you get a good seal around the water passages. permatex aviation sealant. also you want good clean surfaces when reinstalling. lasty use a thread sealant on the water pump long bolts. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, ennisdavis said:

what is the procedure for determining the quality of the timing chain?

As i'm just in the proces of closing the front of my L28 (last week) I have a nice pic for you..

This is my reusable chain of 42 years old and 120000 Km on it !  It's in excellent condition if you ask me , By laying it on the vice you can see how much it bends.. this is normal for a used chain.. If it bends much more it's gone.. (I put it back with the big camshaftgear still on number 1 !  Meaning there is no stretched chain here..)

20211009_140814.jpg

• Like 2

That is a very ingenious way of measuring/gauging wear on a timing chain. It doesn’t say much about stretch, but it does say something about pin wear. I’d have to compare it to a new chain to get idea of how much deflection is meaningful. Given the pretty reasonable price of a timing set (gears and chain and tensioner) I wouldn’t hesitate to put in a new set if I had the engine apart. 

I’ve never ever heard of a chain breaking, and stretch just means some mild adjustment of cam timing. At the extreme end of stretch you risk skipping a tooth or teeth and having your valves have a new angle on life (a very short life after that), but that is also extremely rare. 

• Like 1