IGNORED

battery drain

Dolfinz

9 hours ago, Dolfinz said:

Yes it's a 74 260z and the smog shi* was removed years ago.  Yes it has carbs and the mechanical fuel pump is going to provide fuel that I can smell as the air cleaner is off to facilitate the use of starting fluid should the engine fire.  I go back to the fact that the motor was starting and running fine 2 months ago outside the charging of the battery.  Now it won't fire.  I did have the choke partially on as well to ensure fuel getting to the carbs.  I have since shut it off.  I will let the motor sit and let the battery charge until morning as it's seen a lot of cranking due to all of the testing.  I will respond again after it has had time to rest.  As for the spark on the number 1 cylinder it is timely and consistent but I'm unsure if it is strong enough due to the voltage at the coil during starting.

Before I shot the video I linked, my car was running fine. For whatever reason, when I flooded the car that's when the distributor decided to act up. I replaced the distributor, and the car has been just fine since. That's not what usually happens, but apparently, it can happen.

Also, thinking back to my 73, it had a Crane ignition on it for around 13 years. One day I parked it in the garage, and the next morning it wouldn't start. Eventually I figured out the ignition was bad. I swapped to a ZX ignition before recently settling on a Pertronix. 

1 hour ago, SteveJ said:

Also, thinking back to my 73, it had a Crane ignition on it for around 13 years. One day I parked it in the garage, and the next morning it wouldn't start. Eventually I figured out the ignition was bad. I swapped to a ZX ignition before recently settling on a Pertronix. 

Why did you go to pertronix from the matchbox?

10 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Why did you go to pertronix from the matchbox?

The matchbox went over to the 260Z when the old one died. I still had a 240Z distributor in decent shape (going from the Crane to the ZX dizzy), so use what you have...

• Like 1

I think it was zed that suggested the starting fluid so I gave it a try and sure enough the engine fired. So I figured it was out of gas; since my gauges don't work,  I figured it might need fuel.  So I went and got 5 gallons.  I can't figure how we drained the tank after the engine was rebuilt and 5 gallons overflowed the tank.  Any ways, with plenty of fuel I pulled the choke full on and she started and ran for a couple of blocks. I was about to try to get her up to 40mph but it sounded like someone dropped a box of wrenches in the motor and she stalled and wouldn't run any more.  So much for my engine rebuild. 

After 44 years I can't afford another rebuild.  I'm 63 and I wanted to leave this car to my Grandson for it to be his first car as it was mine after I got out of the Navy.  I'll do compression tests tomorrow but if it threw a rod I'm done.  My wife has been begging me to get rid of this car for 40 years and my working on it has nearly ended in divorce multiple times.  But, it's always been a love of mine.  Oh well. fate will be what will be.  I appreciate all the advice ya'll have given me.  It always has given me hope.  Unfortunately it appears this will be dust in the wind.

• Sad 1

Unfortunately, right before I moved from Michigan to Phoenix this spring, I gave away a perfectly good L26 along with a few other engines.  It sounds like you (with help from other AZ people) need to first figure out if there is a mechanical failure with the engine.  Hopefully not, but these engines are really cheap to rebuild.  My Porsche on the other hand is at least 10 times more expensive to rebuild and much more likely to blow up.

• Agree 1

I appreciate the support and anyone that might be here in Phoenix willing to assist me would be greatly appreciated.  The main reason for my frustration is I just put out $3k to get this engine rebuilt.  Unfortunately it didn't include a warranty.  I'm going to pull the valve cover and see if there's anything obvious there.  After that I could try checking compression on each of the cylinders but I'm afraid of doing any further damage by cranking the motor.  I'm open to any other suggestions and will advise on what I find when I pull the valve cover.  I really hate to give up my 44 year project but it will depend on what's it's going to take to get it fixed.

@cgsheen1 might be able to help you out.  He has a business, Sakura Garage (pasted the link below), that should be close to you.  I assume that there will be charges, of course, but I'm sure you'll get an honest assessment.

Sometimes a rocker arm can pop off and make a lot of noise but with no real damage. @Barefootdan just had that problem, and his engine survived.  Surprisingly common with these engines, from what I've seen on the forums.  Good luck.

https://www.sakuragarage.com/