IGNORED

air cleaner housing connections

Wally

On of the items missing entirely when i got my car was the air filter housing and parts.

I was able to buy the housing unit in image below but dont have any other items. I read another post 

that had the microfiche image and parts. do i really need all those. seems like a lot. 

Does anyone have an image of how the base itself connnects to the carbs? Any images, links or info would be appreciated. Have no 

idea where to get these parts......trying local nissan but its doesnt look good. 

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

Edited by Wally

thanks. went to ace hardware and cobbled together some M8 bolts to secure things. I will figure out something for the seals. 

i am having a room issue. I barely got the air filter in around the bolts and i cant get the cover on. I did add some headers...

would that move things over this much? anybody else had this issue?

IMG_2555.jpg

Maybe i did this wrong but here's what i did. I put bolts in that you can see. I left just enough room so they would come out the front of the air housing so i could put a wing nut on and tighten down. 

To get the housing on w/o the filter i have to twist and turn it at an angle. if the filter is in i cant twist it to get it over the bolt. this is a mess....LOL

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

As CanTechZ mentioned above, you need to put the air cleaner into the cover section before you slide the cover into place. The trick is that the M8 bolts that clamp everything together are "long wing bolts", not wingnuts onto a threaded shaft. That way, the bolts are not in the way when you slip the cover into place... They are kinda half hanging out of the cover portion.

Slip the cover/air cleaner combination into place, and then twist the long wing bolts to hold tight.

I thought someone fabricated their own version of those wing bolts? @zKars maybe? Seems like the crafty kind of thing he would do.  :geek:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

As CanTechZ mentioned above, you need to put the air cleaner into the cover section before you slide the cover into place. The trick is that the M8 bolts that clamp everything together are "long wing bolts", not wingnuts onto a threaded shaft. That way, the bolts are not in the way when you slip the cover into place... They are kinda half hanging out of the cover portion.

Slip the cover/air cleaner combination into place, and then twist the long wing bolts to hold tight.

I thought someone fabricated their own version of those wing bolts? @zKars maybe? Seems like the crafty kind of thing he would do.  :geek:

You are correct. That's not unusual.

https://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/63655-source-for-the-cup-washers-on-the-su-air-cleaner-wing-bolts/?&page=2#comments

I am indeed working on a replacement set of air cleaner hardware. It is not a perfect replica, but is 100% strong and functional as the original. The parts that show (wing nut and cup washer) as close enough to “correct” that most won’t notice without detailed inspection.

I have a couple of sets made up if anyone would like to acquire one, let me know

• Like 2

I would try loctite red to glue wingnuts to the ends of two of the threaded rods. Makes quick and dirty "long length wing-bolts". Since they are just hand tightened, loctite red might be strong enough. If not something else like solder, braze, or weld if the loctite won't hold. Been a while since I looked at them in detail. but I think the originals are brazed.

And for the receiving end, do what you had before... Stud threaded into the carbs and coupler on the other end to accept the newly created wing-bolts.

Flat and rubber washers under the wingnuts. Cup washers optional.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1