IGNORED

Waterless Engine Coolant?

Av8ferg

Has anyone used Evans Waterless Engine Coolant?

Everything I read about it, it sounds like amazing stuff. Non-corrosive, lasts forever and has better cooling properties.

I saw Jay Leno uses it in all his cars now after corrosion problems on some of his cars. With my replacement engine I was thinking of using it and mitigating all the corrosion issues coolants have on internal components, end the painful replacement maintenance and environmental pain of disposal of normal anti-freeze. Seems like a no-brainer to me. Anyone have any experience with it. One draw back is the cost but it’s a one and done situation so over the life of a car it’s potential as cost saving.

https://www.evanscoolant.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that stuff is needed.. to expensive now days you have a red (pinkish) coolant that is good for nissans and never needs to be renewed unless there is a leak. It's called R12 or R12+ or R12++  also R13  your shop knows what to use for a steel or alu engine (or combination in case of a old Z car)

Jay Leno is just a rich guy with expensive toys.  No reason to think he's a car expert.  The youtube video is an Evans advertisement.  Jay probably got paid.

This part in the youtube description is a big BS flag - "increases your fuel economy up to 10%,"

And, any typical antifreeze has corrosion inhibitors.  The Evans system always seemed like an expensive last resort to me.  For the racers with overheating problems.

https://prestone.com/

There have been some interesting discussions over on Hybridz about it.  TimZ has a high horsepower engine and uses it.  

Put these words in Google - site:hybridz.org evans timz

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Jay Leno is just a rich guy with expensive toys.  No reason to think he's a car expert.  The youtube video is an Evans advertisement.  Jay probably got paid.

This part in the youtube description is a big BS flag - "increases your fuel economy up to 10%,"

I think you are being a little hard on Mr. Leno.   He is a true enthusiast.   His only interest in putting up a video on the Evans product is because he looks for interesting products that can be of benefit the classic car world.    I would imagine he received no compensation from Evans other than probably some product to test and possibly endorse it.   As far as being a "car expert", his record on marques he cares about speaks for itself.    My 2 cents ....

• Agree 3

I think Jay Leno is a good guy. Maybe not an expert but well informed and intelligent. I have no issue endorsing a product you believe in. He doesn’t seem like the type to talk up a product and not use it and you see that all over the advertising world.
I’m interested in the product because we already know water is bad for your engine. My old motor in the car has corrosion off the chart, the water pump impeller total disintegrated, core plugs rusted through. Sure I don’t know the history, maybe a PO ran straight tap water or urine in an emergency?? I do know water based coolants have drawbacks.
I’m like the idea that you can open the radiator cap on a hot engine and it doesn’t blow up in your face. I really like the idea of never changing it ever again. Doing radiator fluid is messy and then you have issues disposing of it after, (I bet it’s really fun)...that the part that isn’t all over your driveway afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think that Leno just likes being in the limelight.  That's why he unretired. 

The Evans product is a product.  It's for sale.  They have to sell to keep the business alive.  Always keep that in mind when you're looking at the claims.

Here's the rationale behind the 10% MPG improvement.  Reduced alternator load.

https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1071361_waterless-coolant-improves-engine-life-boosts-mpg-10-percent

I just watched the video again and Leno says that he really doesn't know much about cooling systems and he only runs the Evans in one of his cars.  He owns 159.  I watched a little more and realized that he doesn't maintain his own cars.  He has people that do that for him.  He's a guy with money that likes owning cars.  Sorry, no offence intended.  I don't see any sign that he really knows much about how engines function, let alone cooling systems.  His rationale behind the corrosion of the aluminum plate on his Duesenberg is simplistic.  He also said he didn't use the Evans on the Duesenberg because the "higher boiling point could affect the metal".  Nonsensical.  It's at 40 seconds in the video.

Again, sorry to pick on Leno.  He might be a successful comedian but he's not anywhere close to an expert mechanic.  He has people for that.

Here is an example of the depth of his advice on buying a used car.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/09/10/jay-leno-do-these-3-things-before-buying-a-used-car.html

I run Evans. I run it for the corrosion issue's. Lots of info on-line with people strongly on both sides. I march to the beat of my own drum, so I am not afraid to dive in and find out for myself. The following are some things I have experienced.

- You shouldn't run a copper/brass rad with multiple small rows. The evans coolant is thicker and really needs a rad with larger tubes. I now run an aluminum two row with larger tubes. It was overheating on a brand new brass/copper 3 row and the swap to aluminum fixed that. Long story short, you need a better rad than stock. Evan's will explain that on their site.

- Does not boil in the cylinder head, possibly reducing hot spot's and improving detonation resistance.

- You will notice very little building up of pressure in the system so it's easier on the hoses.

- No water in it so no electrolysis causing corrosion.

• Like 2

Interesting diving down these rabbit holes.  One of my main reasons for wanting to avoid normal coolant is the disposal part.  My county has 1 day out of the year (10 April) you can dispose of it and they charge you $10.  Total BS, one of the many things I learned leading people is if you don’t provide an easy solution for people with a problem they very often do the wrong thing.  Example, Billy-Bobs changes his coolant and discovers there is no place to dispose of it but that one day a year.  You’ve made it too hard for Billy-Bob to comply so he goes and dumps it in the woods or sewer.  Now I won’t do that but some people will.  If you make it easy to follow the rules you get more compliance. 
I don’t want to store gallons of coolant in my garage for a year, which I’m going to have to do when I drain my rad tomorrow.  
I think I’ll probably go the traditional coolant route.  Biggest reason is what Dave WM said.  If a hose is damaged or I have a leak and I’m running Evans…I’m kind of stuck, especially when I’m driving to the next ZCON (East coast please).  Not the case with traditional coolant.  That’s the biggest driver to me. Good discussion and we have successfully thrown Jay Leno under the bus.   

• Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

My county has 1 day out of the year (10 April) you can dispose of it and they charge you $10.  

My township does something similar so I take my used coolant into town where I know the guys at the local garage, they have a 300 gal tank where they store theirs between pick ups. I bring them coffees they let me dump.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bjs zed said:

It was overheating on a brand new brass/copper 3 row and the swap to aluminum fixed that. Long story short, you need a better rad than stock. Evan's will explain that on their site.

It's then the thickness of the liquid that makes it overheating. I agree.  But let one thing be also clear, a brass/copper made radiator will always be better than a aluminum one !  Brass/copper is always a better cooler than a aluminum (or aluminium) one.   Only in this case of thinner (Normally also better) tubes makes it worse..

A copper radiator with bigger tubes would be the best of all. ( Sorry but .. I personally hate that alu junk .. not in my car!  esp. those chinese junk rads..)