IGNORED

Fenders welded on!?!?!? 280Z (OK no, just... bondo...)

ArcticFoxCJ

A soldering iron with a flattish tip will work. A small piece of stainless mesh can be embedded from the back side across the crack using heat. The metal strengthens the joint. There are hot staplers available that do a very similar thing. Hot wire staples would really beef up the repair. You might find it necessary to paint the whole thing when your done to fully conceal the joints and get an even finish. Be carefulful of using too much heat. You can distort the piece of lose the finished texture

• Thanks 1

Interesting that the previous console repairman didn't fiberglass the inside of the console instead of the outside.  A few strategic patches and reinforcements on the underside would have saved it.  I patched mine from the inside and filled cracks and holes with epoxy from the outside surface. Painted it and reinstalled.  Looks fine.  I touched up the silver highlights with a fine tip silver Sharpie.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 7/18/2021 at 5:07 PM, ArcticFoxCJ said:

Hey all,

So I'm in the process of tearing down my '77 and it's looking like these fenders are welded onto the rocker panels and maybe the subframe.  Here's a closeup of where the seam should be between the fender and the rocker, and some photos of the underside where the bolt(s) should be attaching the fender...

Is this a typical repair?  I had a '77 before and it wasn't like this so I'm certain it isn't factory.  

At this point I assume I'll be cutting this puppy off.  Any advice from you seasoned Z folks?

20210718_155105.jpg

20210718_155131.jpg

20210718_155139.jpg

Ewwww

• ArcticFoxCJ changed the title to Fenders welded on!?!?!? 280Z (OK no, just... bondo...)